Measuring one second with a bouncing ball

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Glenn is interested in using bouncing balls to measure one second of time accurately. He wonders if there have been any recorded experiments on this topic, as there are many discussions on the degradation of bounce height but nothing on measuring time accurately. Suggestions are made to use a large steel ball bearing or a high-speed camera to improve accuracy, as factors like air resistance and temperature can affect the results.
thorpie
Hello
Theoretically any ball that bounces 1.225 metres high is in the air for one second. This is fairly precise, +/-4% time variance is +/- 10 cm height variance, so bouncing to a height of 1.13 metres is 0.96 seconds and to a height of 1.32 is 1.04 seconds.
The theory is at least dependent upon identifying when he ball “leaves” the ground, which part of the ball is “at 1.225” metres high, and what size ball becomes measurably affected by air resistance.
Is anyone aware of any recorded experiments that quantify how long a second is, with various bouncing balls. There seem to be lots of discussion on bouncing balls and degradation of height bounced but nothing on measuring one second of time, and I cannot think of a simpler way to measure one second of time accurately from base.
Thank you for your time
Glenn

Science news on Phys.org
thorpie said:
Hello
Theoretically any ball that bounces 1.225 metres high is in the air for one second. This is fairly precise, +/-4% time variance is +/- 10 cm height variance, so bouncing to a height of 1.13 metres is 0.96 seconds and to a height of 1.32 is 1.04 seconds.
The theory is at least dependent upon identifying when he ball “leaves” the ground, which part of the ball is “at 1.225” metres high, and what size ball becomes measurably affected by air resistance.
Is anyone aware of any recorded experiments that quantify how long a second is, with various bouncing balls. There seem to be lots of discussion on bouncing balls and degradation of height bounced but nothing on measuring one second of time, and I cannot think of a simpler way to measure one second of time accurately from base.
Thank you for your time
Glenn
I'd recommend using a large steel ball bearing bouncing off of a thick steel plate. That will give you very little loss in the bounces, and a more accurate measure of what you want to show, IMO.
thorpie said:
I cannot think of a simpler way to measure one second of time accurately from base.
Base what?

Hi Glenn,

That's a really interesting question! I haven't come across any specific experiments that measure the duration of one second using bouncing balls, but I did find a few studies that may be relevant.

One study from 2015 used a high-speed camera to capture the motion of a bouncing ball and compared it to theoretical predictions. They found that the ball's motion was affected by factors such as air resistance and the elasticity of the ball, which could impact the accuracy of using a bouncing ball to measure time.

Another study from 2019 looked at the effect of temperature and air pressure on the bounce height of a ball. They found that these factors can also affect the accuracy of using a bouncing ball to measure time.

Overall, it seems like using a bouncing ball to measure one second of time may not be the most precise method. However, it could still be a fun and educational experiment to try! Perhaps using a high-speed camera and controlling for factors like air resistance and temperature could help improve the accuracy of the results.

I hope this helps and let me know if you come across any other interesting studies on this topic!

1. How can you measure one second with a bouncing ball?

To measure one second with a bouncing ball, you will need a stopwatch or a timer. Start the stopwatch when the ball hits the ground and stop it when it bounces back up. The time displayed on the stopwatch will be the time it took for the ball to bounce, which is approximately one second.

2. Can you use any type of ball to measure one second?

Yes, you can use any type of ball as long as it bounces consistently and has a known diameter. Some suitable options include a tennis ball, ping pong ball, or a rubber ball.

3. Is measuring one second with a bouncing ball accurate?

Measuring one second with a bouncing ball can be accurate if the ball's bounces are consistent and precise. However, it may not be as accurate as using an atomic clock or other precise timekeeping devices.

4. How many bounces should you use to measure one second?

The number of bounces needed to measure one second will vary depending on the height from which the ball is dropped and the accuracy of the stopwatch. To get a more accurate measurement, it is recommended to use multiple bounces and find the average time.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring one second with a bouncing ball?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of this method. These include the type of ball used, the surface on which the ball is bounced, and the accuracy of the stopwatch. It is important to control these variables to get a more precise measurement.