So, what happens to the energy of a bouncing ball in a vacuum?

In summary, a question was posed about the potential velocity of a ball after being bounced from an initial height of 30m in a vacuum-tight container. The possibility of disregarding friction and air resistance was considered, but it was noted that there will always be a slight loss of energy due to factors like the coefficient of restitution.
x8xPTx8x
Hey guys,

im a physics junky, and new to these forums. I have a burning question i was thinking about the past week or so:

If a ball was bounced from a given initial height say 30m. And it bounced in a vacumm-tight container, would its velocity be high enough after its bounce to achieve its initial height. My first instinct would be "no" because of the friction of the ball when it hit the bottom of the container. But what if one was to disregard friction and air resistance, would the velocity of the ball be enough to bounce back up to its initial Greatest Potential Energy. Or would there be another conflicting force acting upon it other than air resistance and friction.

It could be a simple question, but i was curious to find out.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hey x8xPTx8x! welcome to pf! :smile:

there will always be a slight loss of (mechanical) energy …

the factor is known as the coefficient of restitution …

basically it's caused by heat and vibration from temporary deformation of the ball :wink:

Related to So, what happens to the energy of a bouncing ball in a vacuum?

1. How does a bouncing ball behave in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, a bouncing ball will behave differently than in normal air. Without air resistance, the ball will continue to bounce at a consistent rate and height until it loses energy.

2. Does a bouncing ball in a vacuum follow the laws of motion?

Yes, a bouncing ball in a vacuum will follow the laws of motion, specifically Newton's laws of motion. The ball will continue to bounce with the same amount of force and in the same direction until acted upon by an external force.

3. Will a ball bounce higher in a vacuum compared to normal air?

No, a ball will not bounce higher in a vacuum compared to normal air. Without air resistance, the ball will not lose energy as it bounces, but it will also not gain any extra energy to bounce higher.

4. Can a bouncing ball in a vacuum bounce forever?

No, a bouncing ball in a vacuum will eventually stop bouncing due to the loss of energy through sound and heat. However, it will bounce for a significantly longer time compared to a ball bouncing in normal air.

5. Does the weight of the ball affect its bounce in a vacuum?

Yes, the weight of the ball will affect its bounce in a vacuum. Heavier balls will require more force to bounce and will bounce with less height compared to lighter balls. This is due to the principle of inertia, where objects with more mass require more force to move.