Measuring surface area between points

In summary, the problem is that the surface area of a circle with points is not the same whether the origin is inside or outside the circle.
MartinV

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the surface area, mapped with points. For starters, I've mapped the edge of a circle with 200 points, then created a few more circles, each with 200 points. The problem is I get different surface areas for the same size circles. The only difference between the circles is the location.

Homework Equations

The method for mapping the circle with points is:

for i = 1:N+1
X(i,1) = x0 +R *cos(2*pi/N*(i-1));
X(i,2) = y0 +R *sin(2*pi/N*(i-1));
end

where x0 and y0 are coordinates of the circle's center. R is the radius of the circle, N the number of points.

To get the surface of the circle, I've tried the equation S = 1/2 int[ (r×ds)], where r is the vector to the i-th point and ds vector to the i+1-ith point.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the loop I wanted to do the work with:

for i = 1:N-1
d = X(i,1) *(X(i+1,2) - X(i,2)) - X(i,2) *(X(i+1,1) - X(i,1));
S = S + 0.5*d;
end

It's basically a vector product between vectors r and ds. X is a 200×2 array of coordinates of points, first row for x coordinates, second row for y coordinates. I get the value of vector ds by doing the difference between the i-th point and the next point.

I will be doing this with shapes other than circles but I need to have it working with circles first. I know this must be caused by some dumb mistake of mine so don't be afraid to tell me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the area of a triangle with two sides [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is given by [itex]\left|\vec{u}\times\vec{v}\right|[/itex] but your triangles are NOT inside your circle unless the origin is also. That is, you are measuring the area swept out by a line from the origin to points of the figure, not the area of the figure.

Probably the simplest thing to do is to "translate" your figure so the origin is inside it. That is, subtract the components of the center of circle from the corresponding components of the points on the circle.

Equivalently, replace your vector r by r minus the center of the circle.

For a circle, the center is the simplest point to use, but for other figures all you really need is some point inside the figure.

The common origin point doesn't HAVE to be inside of the circle. It will work fine if you don't take the absolute values on the cross product. The signs will cancel the overlap between the triangles. I think the real problem is that you are splitting the circle into N triangles but you are only summing over N-1 of them.

Yes, Dick, you are right. I added another line below the loop that took the last and the first line of the array and added it. I knew there's was something stupid on my part. I'm not in my best lately but the work still needs to be done.

Thanks for the help.

MartinV said:
Yes, Dick, you are right. I added another line below the loop that took the last and the first line of the array and added it. I knew there's was something stupid on my part. I'm not in my best lately but the work still needs to be done.

Thanks for the help.

That's one way to do it. But it looks like you generated N+1 points with the last the same as the first. You could move the endpoint of the loop up to N, right?

No, I divided the circle into 200 sections but the counter for making points only goes to 199 because the 200th point would be the same as the first. I wanted to avoid doing one point twice but now it seems that would make sense.

I need to put every point I create through an equation system that uses NSolve. It would mean making one calculation twice needlessly. If I have 250 circles to mimic motion of that circle, this would mean 250 needless calculations.

1. How do you measure surface area between points?

Surface area between points can be measured by first determining the distance between the two points using a ruler or measuring tape. Then, using a formula such as the Pythagorean theorem, find the length of the line connecting the two points. Finally, use this length and the width or height of the surface to calculate the surface area using the appropriate formula.

2. What units are typically used to measure surface area between points?

The most commonly used units for measuring surface area between points are square inches, square feet, and square meters. However, depending on the size of the surface, other units such as square centimeters or square kilometers may also be used.

3. Can surface area between points be measured on curved surfaces?

Yes, surface area between points can be measured on curved surfaces using the same methods as for flat surfaces. However, the calculations may be more complex and require the use of calculus or specialized formulas.

4. How is the surface area between points different from the surface area of an entire object?

The surface area between points refers to the area of a specific section of an object, while the surface area of an entire object refers to the sum of all the individual surface areas. For example, if you were measuring the surface area between two points on a cube, it would only include the area of the two faces between the points, whereas the surface area of the entire cube would include all six faces.

5. Why is measuring surface area between points important in science?

Measuring surface area between points is important in science because it allows for more precise measurements and calculations. It is especially useful in fields such as physics and chemistry, where surface area plays a critical role in reactions and interactions between substances. It can also help scientists understand the properties and behavior of different materials and objects.