1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical advantage, acceleration, work, power

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    Basically i have no clue how to do this so I was hoping someone could help me on the formulas with some and explain/show how to set it up. Thanks :)

1. a block and tackle (a system of pulleys) with a mechanical advantage of 48 is used to life a piano 11 m to the third floor of a building. Although the pullets in the block and tackle make it easy to lift it still takes a long time because of the length of the rope. What is the length? (hint: its the input distance)

2. the whale shark is the largest of all fish and can have the pass (I believe she meant mass) of three adult elephants. Suppose that a crane is lifting a whale shark for delivery to an aquarium. The crane exerts a force of 2.5*104N to lift the shark from rest. If the shark's acceleration equals 1.25 m/s2, what is the sharks mass?

3. Suppose a meteorite collides with Earth with a force of 6.41*1012N.

A. What is the mass of the meteorite if it's impact speed is 10 km/s so that it has an acceleration of approximatley -1.00*108 m/s2

P.S. I'm not trying to take the easy way out and cheat the thing has about 50 problems so I'm just trying to get some examples because I don't understand this section of my review and I don't want to do bad on the final.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2
    Use F=ma!
  4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    I'm going to be honest idk what that is. I'm guessing Force=Mass*Acceleration?
  5. Dec 10, 2009 #4
    3- u may use simply the newton'ssecond law..velocity has nothing to do with the force since acceleration is given just divide force by accelaration to get the mass
  6. Dec 10, 2009 #5
    1- MA=(effort distance/load distance) just use the formula to claculate here load distance is 11m and MA is 48 so effort distance or length of rope is 48*11
  7. Dec 10, 2009 #6
  8. Dec 10, 2009 #7
    So since I want mass it would be mass=force/acceleration?
  9. Dec 10, 2009 #8
  10. Dec 10, 2009 #9
    ah thank you everyone
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook