Mechanical design of an elevator

In summary, an elevator uses a counterweight to offset the weight of the car, and has a pulley system for braking and opening and closing the doors. It's seriously over-designed, and there's almost no chance of it falling. You can find information about elevator mechanisms on the 'How Stuff Works' site.
kautilya
Hi there,

i am making an elevator design driven by a microcontroller. i am an electronics student and hence i am not able to get the mechanical design aspect of the elevator.

can anyone explain to me how to design the mechanical aspect of the elevator? what are the components for braking, gearing and detecting overload? how can i use a pulley system for the same? what is the mechanism for the opening/ closing of the doors?

i am also planning to design the same in Solidworks / CAD. is it possible / feasible to do the same in minimum time? if so, can anyone reco. some good tutorial site for me in this matter?

i would be grateful if someone helps me out.

regards
kautilya

Engineering news on Phys.org
Elevators use a concrete and/or steel counterweight to offset the mass of the car, so the motor doesn't really have to work very hard. Usually, the pulley mechanism consists of having the cables wrapped around a drive drum, similar to the old-style donkey engine. Brakes are held open by the cables, and close is they break. They're so seriously over-designed that there's almost no chance whatsoever of one falling.
Try checking out the 'How Stuff Works' site, in the engineering section. I think that they have an article about it.

hi there,

thank u for the reply..

i have more queries. what are the parameters do i consider while making a lift? how do i determine the wall thickness, platform height and total load capacity? is there some software for designing these? and how do i design these using software?

if u can suggest any link or book to refer for useful ideas, i would be most obliged.

regards
kautilya

I don't really have more personal knowledge of the subject, but you can get a ton of hits by Googling "elevator mechanism".

What is the purpose of mechanical design in elevators?

The purpose of mechanical design in elevators is to ensure safe and efficient movement of people and objects between floors in a building. It involves designing and building the mechanical components, such as the motor, pulley system, and control panel, to work together in a smooth and reliable manner.

What are some key considerations in the mechanical design of elevators?

Some key considerations in the mechanical design of elevators include weight capacity, speed, energy efficiency, safety features, and space constraints. The design must also adhere to building codes and regulations to ensure the safety of passengers.

How does the elevator motor work?

The elevator motor is responsible for moving the elevator car up and down. It is typically an electric motor that drives a system of gears and pulleys to move the elevator car along the tracks. The motor is controlled by the elevator's control panel and can be slowed down or stopped in case of emergency.

What is the role of the control panel in elevator design?

The control panel is a crucial component in the mechanical design of elevators. It controls the movement of the elevator car, including starting and stopping, opening and closing the doors, and selecting the desired floor. It also includes safety features such as emergency stop buttons and overload sensors.

What are some common safety features in elevator design?

Common safety features in elevator design include emergency stop buttons, door sensors, and overload sensors. These features are designed to prevent accidents and ensure the safety of passengers. Elevators must also meet strict safety standards, including regular inspections and maintenance, to ensure safe operation.