Mechanical, Electrical Engineering and the Future

In summary, the individual is a mechanical engineering major seeking input about the future of mechanical and electrical engineering. They are interested in dynamics, energy, and electromagnetism but are unsure if a ME degree will lead to job opportunities in the electric automotive and solar energy industries. They are advised to pursue what they find interesting and enjoyable.
MechGuy
Hi,

I'm currently a mechanical engineering major, and I'm looking for your input about the future of mechanical and electrical engineering. I'll start off by saying that I've always been interested in dynamics, energy, and how moving things work (vehicles, etc). With electric car motors and solar energy, for example, becoming more mainstream, I have become a bit worried that these technologies will "replace" areas that have typically (in my opinion) been in the domain of mechanical engineering.

I am very interested in electromagnetism, but one of the reasons I didn't choose electrical engineering was because I didn't think I would like the more abstract (to me) concepts, like signal processing. I guess you could say I'm more interested in the physics rather than the more abstract math. (Forgive me if I've made any wrong assumptions).

The bottom line: If I do major in mechanical engineering, and take as many relevant EE courses as I can, is it possible for a ME to get jobs in the electric automotive and solar energy industries? I know these are just a minuscule amount of possible opportunities, but I think it covers the gist of my interests.

Thank you for any help and input!

Physics news on Phys.org
The bottom line: If I do major in mechanical engineering, and take as many relevant EE courses as I can, is it possible for a ME to get jobs in the electric automotive and solar energy industries?

Yes. It's also possible you end up at a McDonald's. Do what you enjoy and/or find interesting.

1. What is the difference between mechanical and electrical engineering?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as machinery, tools, and engines. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. While mechanical engineers work with moving parts and physical systems, electrical engineers work with the flow of electrons and use them to power devices.

2. How are mechanical and electrical engineering related to each other?

Mechanical and electrical engineering are closely related fields and often work together in various industries. For example, in the design of a car, mechanical engineers will work on the engine, while electrical engineers will work on the car's electronic systems. In the development of a robot, mechanical engineers will design the physical structure, while electrical engineers will work on the circuits and sensors that make it function.

3. What are some current advancements in mechanical and electrical engineering?

Some current advancements in mechanical engineering include the development of renewable energy sources, such as wind turbines and solar panels, as well as the use of 3D printing for manufacturing. In electrical engineering, advancements include the development of electric vehicles, artificial intelligence, and the Internet of Things (IoT).

4. How do mechanical and electrical engineering contribute to the future?

Mechanical and electrical engineering will play a crucial role in shaping the future, as they are essential for developing new technologies and improving existing ones. With the increasing focus on sustainability and renewable energy, these fields will continue to drive innovation and contribute to a more sustainable future. Furthermore, the integration of mechanical and electrical systems will lead to advancements in areas such as robotics, automation, and smart cities.

5. What skills are necessary for a career in mechanical or electrical engineering?

To be successful in mechanical or electrical engineering, one must have a strong foundation in math, science, and problem-solving. Technical skills, such as proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, are also essential. Additionally, good communication, teamwork, and adaptability are crucial for working on complex projects and collaborating with others. Continuous learning and staying updated with advancements in the field are also important for a career in mechanical or electrical engineering.