1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Mechanical energy of element of a rope with sinousoidal wave

1. May 15, 2016 #1
    I'm confused about energy driven by a wave. Consider a sinousoidal wave moving in a rope.

Each element ##dm## of the rope follows a simple harmonic motion in time. That means that the mechanical energy ##dE=dK+dU## of the element ##dm## is constant.

Nevertheless on Halliday-Resnik-Krane I found this explanation.

I really do not see how this can be possible. Is this related to the fact that the energy of a wave is not concentrated in a single point but somehow spread in all the rope continuously?

I would really appreciate some suggestion on this topic. Is the mechanical energy of ##dm## really not constant? If so, what can be an explanation for that?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2
    I believe that the authors should explain their thought detailed. Indeed, the equation of harmonic oscillator ##m\ddot x+k^2 x=0## has the first integral ##m\dot x^2/2+kx^2/2## this is a trivial mathematical fact and it does not depend on environment.
    Or in other words if ##x(t)=C_1\cos\omega t+C_2\sin\omega t## then ##\dot x^2/2+\omega^2 x/2=const##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted