1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Energy:Potential, kinect, etc.

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sphere of mass 2kg is release from point A off the edge of a hole that is represented of as a semi-circle of R=0,2 m.
    consider g=10m/s²
    What is the force that the ground apply on the sphere when it passes trough point B(bottom of the hole?

2. Relevant equations
    Ep=m*g*h
    Ec=m*v²/2
    Q=m*v
    F=m*a
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried finding the Potential energy of the sphere at point A that is
    Ep=2kg*0,2m*10m/s² = 4J
    and the weight of the sphere that is 2*10= 20 N
    I don't know what to do anymore the velocity at point B i considered 2m/s because of
    Ep=Ec=m*v²/2 then V=2m/s
    Help?
    Image not from actual problem point A would be the left point B where it is on the pic
    35c+Stable+Ideal+copy.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

You can simply find the speed of the sphere when it reaches point B using conservation of energy.Call it [itex] v_B[/itex]. When the sphere is moving in the semi-circle,it needs a centripetal force which at point B is equal to [itex] \frac{mv_B^2}{R} [/itex]. But this centripetal force can be provided only by the circular track and nothing else so your answer is [itex] \frac{mv_B^2}{R} [/itex].

4. Dec 5, 2013 #3
    AH thanks the answer is 60N i guess you have to sum that with the weight that is 20N
    40 +20 =60 N
    but i dont get where mv2/r comes .. i dont have that on my theory
    they just gave mv²/2 and m*g*h

5. Dec 5, 2013 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to understand the centripetal force concepts before solving this problem. You should know that the centripetal force mv^2/r is the net force acting inward toward the center of the circle. So the centripetal force is 40 N inward and is comprised of the net force of the ground normal force acting up
    and the weight acting down, the net force

6. Dec 5, 2013 #5
    Thank you, now i see why couldnt soulve any problems envolving circles xD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted