Mechanical Energy Question Involving a Spring

In summary, the conversation discusses a block sliding down a frictionless incline and compressing a spring at the bottom. The block's mass, distance traveled, and angle of incline are given. The first question asks for the distance traveled by the block, while the second question asks for the distance between the point of first contact and the point where the block's speed is greatest. The conversation then discusses an equation to determine the distance traveled and the difficulty in finding the maximum kinetic energy. Eventually, the solution is found by adapting the equation and differentiating to find the maximum kinetic energy.
Dante Tufano
1. In the figure below, a block of mass m = 3.20 kg slides from rest a distance d down a frictionless incline at angle θ = 30.0° where it runs into a spring of spring constant 445 N/m. When the block momentarily stops, it has compressed the spring by 21.0 cm.

Here is the image: http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_8-41.gif

(a) What is the distance d?

(b) What is the distance between the point of first contact and the point where the block's speed is greatest?

2. Okay, so using the variable s as the amount the spring is compressed, I determined that mg(d+s)sin(theta)= (1/2)ks^2

3. Okay, so using the above equation, I solved for d and got the answer to part A. It's part B that I'm lost on. Apparently, the distance is not zero like I initially thought, so I'm not quite sure what to do. It says to write K as a function of descent distance after the spring contact is made, but I have no idea what that function would be, nor how to set it up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody? I can't move on with the homework until I figure this one out.

Hi Dante! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Dante Tufano said:
mg(d+s)sin(theta)= (1/2)ks^2

Apparently, the distance is not zero like I initially thought, so I'm not quite sure what to do. It says to write K as a function of descent distance after the spring contact is made, but I have no idea what that function would be, nor how to set it up.

Your equation is fine. :smile:

Now adapt it to find the KE (is that your K?), then differentiate it to find where the KE is a maximum …

what do you get? :wink:

Oh wow, I plugged everything in and it worked out, I probably should have been able to see the answer. Thanks a lot!

I would like to clarify a few things before providing a response. Firstly, the question does not specify the units for mass and distance. Assuming that the mass is in kilograms and the distance is in meters, I will proceed with my answer. Secondly, I am not sure what the variable s represents in the given equation. It is not mentioned in the question or the figure. Therefore, I will provide a general explanation based on the given information.

To answer part (a), we can use the conservation of mechanical energy principle. Initially, the block has only potential energy due to its position on the incline. When it reaches the spring, it has both potential and kinetic energy. At the moment of maximum compression, the block has only potential energy stored in the spring. Therefore, we can equate the initial potential energy to the final potential energy and solve for the distance d.

Using the equation provided in part (2), we can write the initial potential energy as mgh, where h is the height of the incline. The final potential energy is (1/2)kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance the spring is compressed. Equating these two energies, we get:

mgh = (1/2)kx^2

Solving for x, we get:

x = √(2mgh/k)

Substituting the values given in the question, we get:

x = √(2*3.20*9.8*d/445)

Solving for d, we get:

d = 0.630 m

For part (b), we need to find the distance between the point of first contact and the point where the block's speed is greatest. This can be done by finding the distance the block travels before it reaches the maximum compression point. We can use the same equation as before, but this time we substitute x with the maximum compression, which is 0.21 m. Solving for d, we get:

d = 0.417 m

Therefore, the distance between the point of first contact and the point where the block's speed is greatest is 0.417 m.

I am not sure how the variable s is used in the given equation, so I cannot provide a specific answer for part (b). However, the function for kinetic energy can be written as (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It can be divided into two forms: kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, and potential energy, which is the energy of position.

2. How is mechanical energy involved in a spring?

A spring stores potential energy when it is compressed or stretched, and releases that energy as kinetic energy when it returns to its original shape. This conversion of energy is what allows a spring to perform mechanical work.

3. What factors affect the amount of mechanical energy stored in a spring?

The amount of mechanical energy stored in a spring depends on its stiffness, or spring constant, and the distance it is compressed or stretched. The greater the stiffness and distance, the more potential energy the spring will have.

4. Can mechanical energy be lost in a spring?

Yes, some mechanical energy can be lost due to friction and air resistance. This is why a spring may not return to its original position after being compressed or stretched, as some of the energy has been lost to external forces.

5. How is mechanical energy related to the period and frequency of a spring's oscillations?

The period, or time it takes for one complete oscillation, and frequency, or number of oscillations per second, of a spring are related to its mechanical energy. A spring with a greater amount of mechanical energy will have a longer period and lower frequency, while a spring with less energy will have a shorter period and higher frequency.