1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical enery equation to valve equation

1. Apr 25, 2006 #1

I’m writing my bachelor thesis about valves, and was wondering if anyone could help me with the following derivation:
    I need to show the algebraic link between the mechanical energy-equation and the ”valve equation” that is Cv=Q * [Square](Sg/[Delta]p). This can also be called the flow coefficient-equation.

Everything in field units (american units)

All help will be appreciated a lot!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pressure is energy / unit volume so the [itex]\Delta P = Q^2\rho/C_v[/itex] expresses an energy loss per unit volume.

4. Apr 26, 2006 #3
    Derive it from Bernoulli's. As the length of the valve is generally too small, you can neglect difference in elevation (if any) and also it is a safe assumption to consider constant velocity. The pressure drop across the valve then becomes a function of velocity. Express frictional resistance in terms of velocity and equate it to pressure drop.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?