Mechanical enery equation to valve equation

Hi

I’m writing my bachelor thesis about valves, and was wondering if anyone could help me with the following derivation:
I need to show the algebraic link between the mechanical energy-equation and the ”valve equation” that is Cv=Q * [Square](Sg/[Delta]p). This can also be called the flow coefficient-equation.

Everything in field units (american units)

All help will be appreciated a lot!

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Fingon said:
Hi

I’m writing my bachelor thesis about valves, and was wondering if anyone could help me with the following derivation:
I need to show the algebraic link between the mechanical energy-equation and the ”valve equation” that is Cv=Q * [Square](Sg/[Delta]p). This can also be called the flow coefficient-equation.

Everything in field units (american units)

All help will be appreciated a lot!
Pressure is energy / unit volume so the [itex]\Delta P = Q^2\rho/C_v[/itex] expresses an energy loss per unit volume.

AM

Derive it from Bernoulli's. As the length of the valve is generally too small, you can neglect difference in elevation (if any) and also it is a safe assumption to consider constant velocity. The pressure drop across the valve then becomes a function of velocity. Express frictional resistance in terms of velocity and equate it to pressure drop.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving