Mechanical experiments testing special relativity?

In summary, there have been experiments that test special relativity, such as the Kennedy-Thorndike experiment which involves light. However, there have also been experiments involving mechanical devices, like the muon lifetime experiment, which show relativistic effects like time dilation and length contraction. These experiments support the idea that relativistic effects occur for all kinds of moving devices, not just those using light. Muon decay is also affected by its relativistic motion, further supporting the principles of special relativity.
quantumphilosopher
Are there any experiments which test special relativity? I know of the Kennedy–Thorndike experiment, but it involves light. I am curious whether a different kind of experiments showing relativistic effects like time dilation or length contraction have been performed (I'm thinking of experiments involving mechanical devices like mechanic clocks, rather than light clocks). If there are none, why should we accept that relativistic effects occur for other kinds of moving devices (like mechanical clocks), besides those using light (like light clocks). I'm not questioning SR, I just don't know the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most mechanical clocks rely on electromagnetism for their operation anyway, i.e. it's the electromagnetic force between atoms that holds matter together, not the nuclear forces.

Muon decay is governed by a whole different set of forces which are not electormagnetic in origin at all. And as robphy points out, the decay of the muon is affected by its relativistic motion.

that's a good answer

quantumphilosopher said:
Are there any experiments which test special relativity?

http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~dkoks/Faq/Relativity/SR/experiments.html

1. What is special relativity and how does it relate to mechanical experiments?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how the laws of physics apply to objects moving at a constant speed. It is relevant to mechanical experiments because it affects how we measure and perceive time, distance, and mass in these experiments.

2. How does the speed of light play a role in mechanical experiments testing special relativity?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in special relativity and plays a crucial role in mechanical experiments. It is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel, and it helps determine the effects of time dilation and length contraction in these experiments.

3. What is time dilation and how is it tested in mechanical experiments?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time passes at different rates for observers in different reference frames. In mechanical experiments, this effect can be observed by comparing the time measurements of two clocks in motion relative to each other. The clock in motion will appear to be ticking slower than the stationary clock.

4. How does length contraction manifest in mechanical experiments testing special relativity?

Length contraction is the shortening of an object's length in the direction of its motion as observed by a stationary observer. In mechanical experiments, this can be tested by measuring the length of an object before and after it is in motion. The length will appear shorter when in motion due to the effects of special relativity.

5. Can mechanical experiments prove or disprove special relativity?

No, mechanical experiments cannot prove or disprove special relativity. However, they can provide evidence and support for the theory. Special relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments, including mechanical ones, but it is ultimately a well-established scientific theory that can only be disproven by new evidence or contradicting experiments.