Mechanical Oscillator: finding frequency and wavelength of transverse wave

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Sepamo
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
A mechanical oscillator connected to the end of a stretched string creates a transverse displacement of the end that is given by ξ = 0.009 sin(22.8 t), where ξ is in meters, t is in seconds (and the argument of the sin function is in radians). The tension in the string is 11.08, and the string has a linear mass density of 11 grams/m. Find the frequency ν of the transverse waves, in units of Hz. Also Find the wavelength of the transverse waves, in units of m.


I found the propagation velocity (Cw). I believe I need to use the equation [itex]\lambda[/itex]=[itex]\frac{Cw}{\upsilon}[/itex]. I am not sure what other equation(s) to use.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sepamo said:
A mechanical oscillator connected to the end of a stretched string creates a transverse displacement of the end that is given by ξ = 0.009 sin(22.8 t), where ξ is in meters, t is in seconds (and the argument of the sin function is in radians). The tension in the string is 11.08, and the string has a linear mass density of 11 grams/m. Find the frequency ν of the transverse waves, in units of Hz. Also Find the wavelength of the transverse waves, in units of m.


I found the propagation velocity (Cw). I believe I need to use the equation [itex]\lambda[/itex]=[itex]\frac{Cw}{\upsilon}[/itex]. I am not sure what other equation(s) to use.

The frequency of a wave is the frequency of the thing causing the wave - the oscillator connected. That ξ expression should enable you to work that out.