1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Oscillator: finding frequency and wavelength of transverse wave

1. Aug 10, 2011 #1
    A mechanical oscillator connected to the end of a stretched string creates a transverse displacement of the end that is given by ξ = 0.009 sin(22.8 t), where ξ is in meters, t is in seconds (and the argument of the sin function is in radians). The tension in the string is 11.08, and the string has a linear mass density of 11 grams/m. Find the frequency ν of the transverse waves, in units of Hz. Also Find the wavelength of the transverse waves, in units of m.

I found the propagation velocity (Cw). I believe I need to use the equation [itex]\lambda[/itex]=[itex]\frac{Cw}{\upsilon}[/itex]. I am not sure what other equation(s) to use.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

The frequency of a wave is the frequency of the thing causing the wave - the oscillator connected. That ξ expression should enable you to work that out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook