Mechanical Properties of Kevlar in Speakers

In summary, using Kevlar to form a square pattern in speakers improves the characteristics of the speakers by deflecting sound waves and canceling them out. Kevlar is a suitable material for this purpose due to its ability to withstand stress and maintain its shape even after prolonged vibration. This makes it ideal for designing speakers with high sound quality.
richardstan
I understand the characteristics of speakers can be improved by weaving kevlar to form a square pattern and that the sound waves are deflected because the angles on the pattern cancel them out.
However, i don't see why this has to be kevlar and not any other material which could do the same job. What special properties has the kevlar itself got that lend it towards designing speakers?

Thanks
Richard.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am no materials scientist (an engineer by profession) so I would take a gander towards Kevlar being far more suitable to withstanding the stress/strain of vibrating at various frequencies.

Thinking back to my early physics classes, I'd imagine a hysteresis plot: (1) it's possible that it doesn't alter in tension even after prolonged vibration (within its rated freq. response), and (2) it could possibly, alter in shape if need be, whilst returning to its original form (similar to (1)).

1. What is Kevlar and why is it used in speakers?

Kevlar is a synthetic material known for its high strength and durability. It is commonly used in speakers because it can withstand high levels of mechanical stress and vibration, making it ideal for producing clear and distortion-free sound.

2. How does Kevlar affect the sound quality of speakers?

Kevlar has a high stiffness-to-weight ratio, meaning it is able to vibrate at high frequencies without losing its shape or compromising the sound quality. This results in a more accurate and detailed sound compared to other materials.

3. Can Kevlar be used in all types of speakers?

Yes, Kevlar can be used in various types of speakers including woofers, tweeters, and mid-range drivers. Its versatility and strength make it a popular choice for many speaker manufacturers.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using Kevlar in speakers?

One potential disadvantage of using Kevlar in speakers is its high cost compared to other materials. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of music, as some listeners may prefer a warmer sound that Kevlar may not provide.

5. How does the thickness of Kevlar affect its performance in speakers?

The thickness of Kevlar can have an impact on its performance in speakers. Thicker Kevlar may be more rigid and provide better sound quality, but it can also add weight and increase the cost of the speaker. Thinner Kevlar may be more flexible, but it may not be as durable or produce the same quality of sound.