Mechanics (Components of Acceleration)

In summary: The correct answers are:a) \vec a_t= (4t,0), \vec a_n= (0,12t)b) \vec a_t= (4t,0), \vec a_n= (0,12t)In summary, the conversation discusses a solved problem involving finding the tangential and normal components of acceleration using given equations and attempted solutions. The correct answers are found to be (4t,0) for the tangential component and (0,12t) for the normal component.
roam

Homework Statement

The following is a solved problem:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6503/questiono.jpg

I can't understand how they worked out these two components.

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{a}(t) = \frac{dv}{dt}\vec{T} + v \frac{d \vec{T}}{dt}[/itex]

Where

[itex]\vec{T}(t) = \frac{d \vec{r}(t)/dt}{||d \vec{r}(t)/dt||} = \frac{\vec{v}(t)}{v(t)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the equation I posted above, I believe the first term is the tangential component of acceleration and the second one is the normal component. I want first to find the tangential component:

[itex]\vec{v}(t) = d(t^2 \vec{i} + 3t+2 \vec{j})/dt = 2t+3[/itex]

[itex]|| \vec{v}(t) || = \sqrt{4t^2+9}[/itex]

So substituting in

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}\vec{T} = \frac{d (\vec{r}(t)/dt)}{dt} . \frac{d \vec{r}(t)}{dt}.\frac{1}{||\vec{r}(t)||}[/itex]

[itex]2.(2t+3).\frac{1}{\sqrt{4t^2+9}}[/itex]

[itex]= \frac{4t+6}{\sqrt{4t^2+9}}[/itex]

But this is wrong. The correct answer must be

[itex]\frac{4t}{\sqrt{4t^2+9}}[/itex]

What did I do wrong? :confused: How can I get to the correct answer? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:

Homework Statement

The following is a solved problem:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6503/questiono.jpg

I can't understand how they worked out these two components.

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{a}(t) = \frac{dv}{dt}\vec{T} + v \frac{d \vec{T}}{dt}[/itex]

Where

[itex]\vec{T}(t) = \frac{d \vec{r}(t)/dt}{||d \vec{r}(t)/dt||} = \frac{\vec{v}(t)}{v(t)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the equation I posted above, I believe the first term is the tangential component of acceleration and the second one is the normal component. I want first to find the tangential component:

[itex]\vec{v}(t) = d(t^2 \vec{i} + 3t+2 \vec{j})/dt = 2t+3[/itex]

[itex]|| \vec{v}(t) || = \sqrt{4t^2+9}[/itex]

So substituting in

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}\vec{T} = \frac{d (\vec{r}(t)/dt)}{dt} . \frac{d \vec{r}(t)}{dt}.\frac{1}{||\vec{r}(t)||}[/itex]

[itex]2.(2t+3).\frac{1}{\sqrt{4t^2+9}}[/itex]

[itex]= \frac{4t+6}{\sqrt{4t^2+9}}[/itex]

But this is wrong. The correct answer must be

[itex]\frac{4t}{\sqrt{4t^2+9}}[/itex]

What did I do wrong? :confused: How can I get to the correct answer? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

You have speed: [itex]\vec v= \frac{dr}{dt}=(2t,3)[/itex]
and acceleration: [itex]\vec a= \frac{dv}{dt}=(2,0)[/itex]

then you've got to find the projection of [itex]\vec a[/itex] onto [itex]\vec v[/itex]:
[tex]\vec a_t = \frac{(\vec a \cdot \vec v)}{||\vec v||^2}\vec v= \frac{1}{4t^2+9}(8t^2,12t)[/tex]
The normal component of acceleration is then:
[itex]\vec a_n= \vec a - \vec a_t[/itex]

The given answers seem to be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s2).

2. What are the components of acceleration?

The two components of acceleration are tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration. Tangential acceleration is the change in an object's linear velocity, while centripetal acceleration is the change in its direction of motion.

3. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What causes acceleration?

Acceleration is caused by a net force acting on an object. This force can be applied in the same direction as the object's motion (causing an increase in speed) or in the opposite direction (causing a decrease in speed).

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can change the speed, direction, or both of an object's motion. If the object is accelerating in the same direction as its velocity, it will speed up. If it is accelerating in the opposite direction, it will slow down. If it is accelerating perpendicular to its velocity, it will change direction without changing speed.