Mechanics Elastic springs question

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle attached to an elastic spring on a rough surface with a fixed end. The coefficient of friction is given and the particle is initially held at rest with the spring compressed to a specific length. The objective is to show that the particle will be at rest again after moving a certain distance. Assumptions are made using conservation of energy but the impact of friction is not initially considered.
rbnphlp
A particle of mass m is attached to one end of an elastic spring of natural length l and modulous lambda ..The particle and spring rest on a rough horizontal surface and the other end of the spring is fixed..Th coefficient of friction is mu .the particle is held at rest with the spring compressed to a length 2/3l and then released.Show that the particle is instamtenously at rest when it has a moved a distance x where,..lambda=Y,mu=P
[itex]x=\frac{2Yl-6Plmg}{3Y}[/itex]

Can some one check if my assumptions are right?..

First of all they want me to show the velocity is 0..
I use conservation of energy
[itex]\frac{Yl}{18}=\frac{Yx_1^2}{2l}+\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex]
where [itex]x_1=\frac{2Yl-6Plmg}{3Y}-\frac{l}{3}[/itex]
After that I get into big muddle as they don't equal to 0
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone please?

rbnphlp said:
Can some one check if my assumptions are right?..

First of all they want me to show the velocity is 0..
I use conservation of energy
[itex]\frac{Yl}{18}=\frac{Yx_1^2}{2l}+\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex]
where [itex]x_1=\frac{2Yl-6Plmg}{3Y}-\frac{l}{3}[/itex]
After that I get into big muddle as they don't equal to 0
thanks.

Energy is not conserved here, because of the friction. However, the energy will decrease by an amount equal to the work done by friction.

Redbelly98 said:
Energy is not conserved here, because of the friction. However, the energy will decrease by an amount equal to the work done by friction.

I forgot about friction thanks..

1. How do elastic springs work?

Elastic springs work by using a material that can be stretched or compressed, such as metal or rubber, to store potential energy. When a force is applied to the spring, it deforms and stores this energy. When the force is released, the spring returns to its original shape, releasing the stored energy.

2. What factors affect the elasticity of a spring?

The elasticity of a spring depends on several factors, including the material it is made of, the thickness and length of the spring, and the number of coils. Generally, stiffer materials and shorter, thicker springs will have higher elasticity.

3. How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the resulting displacement. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m).

4. Can a spring be too elastic?

Yes, a spring can be too elastic. If a spring is too stretchy or compressible, it may not be able to provide enough resistance for the desired application. It is important to choose a spring with the appropriate level of elasticity for the intended use.

5. What are some real-world applications of elastic springs?

Elastic springs have many practical applications, including in car suspensions, pogo sticks, trampolines, and shock absorbers. They are also commonly used in toys, exercise equipment, and other mechanical systems where energy storage and release is needed.