1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics of Materials: Simple moment question?

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long retaining wall is braced by wood shores set at an angle of 30 degrees and supported by concrete thrust blocks. The shores are evenly spaced, 3m apart.

For analysis purposes, the wall and shored are idealized. Note that the base of the wall and both ends of the shored are assumed to be pinned. The pressure of the soil against the wall is assumed to be triangularly distributed, and the resultant force action on a 3m length of the wall is 190 kN.

If each shore has a 150mm x 150mm square cross-section, what is the compressive stress on part C in the shores?

2. Relevant equations
    This is in part 1.2 of my book, labeled 'Normal Stress and Strain', and they give equations of moments as:
    Mx = P[tex]\overline{y}[/tex]
    My = -P[tex]\overline{x}[/tex]

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9463/128mn6.th.png [Broken]
    3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly have no idea where to begin, the book has been no help with these problems, as there is almost no information or examples on how to solve this type of problem.

Please help!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seraph042: You know the direction of the force in member BC, right? Can you break that force into horizontal and vertical components?

Secondly, have you heard of equilibrium, and the three equilibrium equations in statics? Draw a free-body diagram of member AB, and use the equilibrium equations to solve for the reaction forces at points A and B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook