Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Mechanics & physics,can anyone explain the scenarios?Very practical Questions?

1. Jan 17, 2009 #1
    Mechanics & physics,can anyone plz explain the scenarios?Very practical Questions?

Hi...Can anyone please be kind enough to help me? i know it will take a bit longer for u to answer. I have some scenarios and questions in the following pages:

http://www.geocities.com/flabberguest_gabcraft/pg1.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/flabberguest_gabcraft/pg2.jpg

These are related to physics & mechanical aptitude test. I know the answers but i am not able to explain them with the help of theories. Can anyone please help me explain these situations. Please take a look it is interesting thanks in advance ...
    for assistance I'm providing the Answers:
    Q1 = A
    Q2 = B
    Q3 = A
    Q4 = dont know
    Q5 = A
    Q6 = B
    Q7 = dont know
    Q8 = B
    Q9 = dont know

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2009 #2
    Re: Mechanics & physics,can anyone plz explain the scenarios?Very practical Questions

I think that Q4 = C because the the magnetic field which is induced by the current flowing in the wire is not in any of the direction described in A or B (It is actually normal to the plane of the screen.
    Also, Q3 = A because the torque of a force acting at a larger distance from the center of rotation is larger than one acting close to the center, that is torque = F x r where r is the distance from the center and x is a cross product.
    Also Q8=B because saw dust is more thermally insulating than air, I suppose.

4. Jan 17, 2009 #3
    Re: Mechanics & physics,can anyone plz explain the scenarios?Very practical Questions

Question 9 is A since three points define a plane. More than that and you will have at least one leg off the floor on uneven ground.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook