1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics problem (Bullet penetration)

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 7.00g bullet, when ired from a gun into a 1.00kg block of wood held in a vise, penetrates the block to a depth of 8.00cm. This block of wood is placed on a frictionless horizontal surface, and a second 7.00g bullet is fired from the gun into the block. To what depth will the bullet penetrate the block in this case?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the first case, by taking the final velocity as 0 and displacement as 8.00cm.
    I can get the initial velocity of bullet in terms of acceleration or time by using kinematics equations.
    or I can find the force of the bullet exerts on the block by equating EK = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]r
    But they are not seems to be useful in case 2.

In case 2, I am not sure how the mechanics will occur. But, I think the bullet will travel with the same initial velocity, penetrate a shorter distance into the block and bring the block to travel with it with some velocity. I do not know how to put this by using physical principals. I guess I need to use conservation of energy again. By equating
    EK of bullet = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]r + EK of (bullet + block). But I do not think I have enough information to do that. Please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You're on the right track. Hint: What else is conserved during the collision of bullet and block in case 2?

4. Sep 1, 2008 #3
    I think momentum is conserved which gives
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv1 = (M+m)v2 ...........(1)
    where m=mass of bullet
    M=mass of block
    v1=initial velocity of bullet
    v2=velocity of bullet and block

From the 1st case,
    I have [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv12 = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]r1 ....... (2)

From the 2nd case,
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv12 = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]r2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv22.... (3)

By equating (3) and (2)
    I have F([tex]\Delta[/tex]r1-[tex]\Delta[/tex]r2) = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex](M+m)v22

But I still have one extra unknown (r2 , F , v1) for 2 equations.
    I have one more question here, if I had assumed that the collision is inelastic, will (3) still correct since the kinetic energy is not conserved anymore.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  5. Sep 1, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Good. But get rid of that 1/2.

Good.

Good, but that second "m" should be "M + m".

You have 3 equations. In any case, noodle around with the equations, expressing everything in terms of F, r_1, & r_2. See what happens.
    The collision is most definitely inelastic. KE is not conserved--total energy is conserved. (Your equation 3 is a total energy equation, not simply a KE equation.)

6. Sep 1, 2008 #5
    Oops... I apologise for all the typing errors.

Wow, the unknowns canceled like magic. Thank you so much.
    The final answer I got is 7.994cm. Not much different from the first penetration.

7. Sep 1, 2008 #6

Doc Al

I get a slightly different answer, so you might want to recheck your arithmetic. But there's not much difference.

8. Sep 1, 2008 #7
    I recheck my arithmetic. There is nothing wrong.

The final expression I get is
    mv12 = mv12*[tex]\frac{\Delta r_2}{\Delta r_1}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{m^2}{M+m}[/tex]*v12

Canceled off all the v and m gives
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]r2 = [tex]\frac{M}{M+m}[/tex]*[tex]\Delta[/tex]r1
    = 1/1.007 * 0.08
    = 0.07994m

9. Sep 1, 2008 #8

Doc Al

Right.
    According to my calculator, 1/1.007 * 0.08 = 0.07944 m.

10. Sep 1, 2008 #9
    Yea.. Thank you so much for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?