1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics problem involving a Differential Equation

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Fnet = Ffriction + Fairresistance = μmg + cv2 = ma

Essentially I just need to get this in a v(x) form. Prof said that we need to go about it by doing this:

F = m[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] = m [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] * d[itex]\dot{x}[/itex]/dx

and then integrating to get v(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

so...

μmg + cv2 = m [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] * d[itex]\dot{x}[/itex]/dx

And this is where I just can't figure it out. I'm terrible with DEs.

I thought of moving the 1/dx to the other side and then integrating both sides, but I get stuck, especially since v2 can be written as [itex]\dot{x}[/itex]2, right? And that messes with my sleep-deprived brain a little, lol. Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2
    Hi!
    If I recall correctly, the v^2 proportionality law(of drag) applies to high speeds, only; Are you sure that you need to have v^2 there? Stoke's law, in this case, I suppose, is a better fit(i.e k*v);
    How did you arrive at the following relation:?[itex] {\frac{d}{dx}\dot{x}} = 0 [/itex], I can't see its use here...
    We'll work on it,
    Daniel

4. Sep 23, 2011 #3
    The question unfortunately doesn't give much of a hint as to how fast this might be traveling, so I'm not sure I could cancel out the v2. I also can't see where I typed d[itex]\dot{x}[/itex]/dx = 0. :S

5. Sep 23, 2011 #4
    It's not so much that you typed it, it's what it is... :)
    Meaning:
    [itex] \frac{d}{dx}{dx}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}\cdot\frac{dx}{dx} = 0 [/itex] Meaning that it can't be used...
    The first thing to do, in my view would be to rewrite it, such that:
    [itex] \Large mx''(t) = mk(x'(t))^2 + C [/itex] Where C is a constant carrying your constant friction force.
    Then one would lean towards differentiating again(to get rid of the C) with respect to t:
    [itex] \large mx'''(t) = 2mkx'(t)x''(t) [/itex] and dividing by m, and substituting z(t) = x'(t), and for simplicity, taking k=1:
    [itex] \large z'' = zz', \frac{d^2z}{dt^2} = z\frac{dz}{dt} [/itex].
    Multiplying by dt:
    [itex] \large zdz = (\frac{d^2z}{dt^2})dt [/itex].
    Now one must integrate, and continue the process further.
    Try it,
    Hope that works for you,
    Daniel
    P.S
    Here's some "cheating"(:D), just to verify your steps:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=-x''+==+x*x'"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook