1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics Problems: Tensile Forces and Pressure

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform, horizontal beam of length 4 weighs 150 N. It is connected to a wall by a hinge and is held horizontal by a cable of length 5; it holds a 300 N weight at its end away from the wall. The cable and the beam form a 3:4:5 triangle with the wall.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\textbf{F}_i=m\textbf{a}_i=0[/tex], because the system is not accelerating.

3. The attempt at a solution

The forces acting upon the end of the rod are half of its weight, the hanging weight, and the tension. I've solved for [tex]textbf{T}[\tex] to no avail. What am I doing incorrectly?
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi asleight! :smile:

Show us what you tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:
  4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    Examining the FBD for the end of the rod, we see:

[tex]\sum\textbf{F}=\textbf{F}_{g,weight}-\textbf{T}\sin{\theta}=0[/tex], solving for tension, we find:

[tex]\textbf{F}_{g,weight}/\sin{\theta}=\textbf{T}[/tex], is that really it?
  5. Nov 9, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nooo … F and T are vectors, and they're not parallel, so that can't be right can it?

You've left out the unknown force at the hinge.

Since it's unknown, what technique do you know that will give you an equation without it? :smile:
  6. Nov 9, 2008 #5
    I don't see what the problem is. Parts (b) and (c) ask to solve for the forces applied by the hinge so I don't know where to go on from here. I'm not so intuitively-savvy today, it seems. I have other questions, too. GAH. Haha.
  7. Nov 9, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try taking moments about the hinge.
  8. Nov 9, 2008 #7
    Solving for the sum of the torques, we find 1200Nm being applied in the clockwise direction by the hanging mass, 300Nm by the rod itself, also applied in the clockwise direction. Then, we have to cancel that with the torque due to the chord. So, the torque is 1500Nm.

[tex]\tau=r\times F=rF\sin{\theta}=3rF/5=1500[/tex],

solving for F, we find: F = 625 N, is that right?
  9. Nov 9, 2008 #8
    Nevermind, I finished that problem. The next one'll be posted shortly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?