Mechanics Problems: Tensile Forces and Pressure

In summary: Try taking moments about the hinge.Solving for the sum of the torques, we find 1200Nm being applied in the clockwise direction by the hanging mass, 300Nm by the rod itself, also applied in the clockwise direction. Then, we have to cancel that with the torque due to the chord. So, the torque is 1500Nm.
asleight

Homework Statement

A uniform, horizontal beam of length 4 weighs 150 N. It is connected to a wall by a hinge and is held horizontal by a cable of length 5; it holds a 300 N weight at its end away from the wall. The cable and the beam form a 3:4:5 triangle with the wall.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\textbf{F}_i=m\textbf{a}_i=0[/tex], because the system is not accelerating.

The Attempt at a Solution

The forces acting upon the end of the rod are half of its weight, the hanging weight, and the tension. I've solved for [tex]textbf{T}[\tex] to no avail. What am I doing incorrectly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi asleight! :smile:

Show us what you tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi asleight! :smile:

Show us what you tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

Examining the FBD for the end of the rod, we see:

[tex]\sum\textbf{F}=\textbf{F}_{g,weight}-\textbf{T}\sin{\theta}=0[/tex], solving for tension, we find:

[tex]\textbf{F}_{g,weight}/\sin{\theta}=\textbf{T}[/tex], is that really it?

asleight said:
Examining the FBD for the end of the rod, we see:

[tex]\sum\textbf{F}=\textbf{F}_{g,weight}-\textbf{T}\sin{\theta}=0[/tex], solving for tension, we find:

[tex]\textbf{F}_{g,weight}/\sin{\theta}=\textbf{T}[/tex], is that really it?

Nooo … F and T are vectors, and they're not parallel, so that can't be right can it?

You've left out the unknown force at the hinge.

Since it's unknown, what technique do you know that will give you an equation without it? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Nooo … F and T are vectors, and they're not parallel, so that can't be right can it?

You've left out the unknown force at the hinge.

Since it's unknown, what technique do you know that will give you an equation without it? :smile:

I don't see what the problem is. Parts (b) and (c) ask to solve for the forces applied by the hinge so I don't know where to go on from here. I'm not so intuitively-savvy today, it seems. I have other questions, too. GAH. Haha.

asleight said:
I don't see what the problem is. Parts (b) and (c) ask to solve for the forces applied by the hinge so I don't know where to go on from here. I'm not so intuitively-savvy today, it seems. I have other questions, too. GAH. Haha.

Try taking moments about the hinge.

Solving for the sum of the torques, we find 1200Nm being applied in the clockwise direction by the hanging mass, 300Nm by the rod itself, also applied in the clockwise direction. Then, we have to cancel that with the torque due to the chord. So, the torque is 1500Nm.

[tex]\tau=r\times F=rF\sin{\theta}=3rF/5=1500[/tex],

solving for F, we find: F = 625 N, is that right?

Nevermind, I finished that problem. The next one'll be posted shortly.

1. What is the difference between tensile force and pressure?

Tensile force is a pulling force that acts on an object in opposite directions, while pressure is a force that acts perpendicular to a surface. Tensile force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N), while pressure is measured in units of Pascals (Pa).

2. How do you calculate the tensile force on an object?

To calculate the tensile force on an object, you must first determine the cross-sectional area of the object and the amount of stress applied to it. Then, use the formula F = A x σ, where F is the tensile force, A is the cross-sectional area, and σ is the stress. The resulting force will be in units of Newtons (N).

3. What is the maximum tensile force that an object can withstand?

The maximum tensile force that an object can withstand is known as its tensile strength. This value varies depending on the material and the specific conditions of the object. It is important to never exceed the tensile strength of an object, as it can lead to permanent damage or failure.

4. How does pressure affect the strength of materials?

Pressure can affect the strength of materials in different ways. For example, when a material is subjected to high pressure, it can compress and become stronger. However, if the pressure is too great, the material may not be able to withstand it and can break or deform. The strength of a material also depends on its ability to distribute the pressure evenly, as well as its elasticity and other properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of tensile forces and pressure?

Tensile forces and pressure have many practical applications in various industries, such as construction, engineering, and manufacturing. For example, tensile forces are used in the design and construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures to ensure they can withstand external forces such as wind and earthquakes. Pressure is also used in hydraulic systems to power machinery and equipment. In addition, understanding tensile forces and pressure is crucial in the production of materials and products to ensure their strength and durability.