1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics questions from Oxford Physics entrance exam.

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    I'm ok with this question up until a3, I have no idea how to get velocity as a function of time from the information available. This question is taken from the Oxford Physics entrance exam. I'm not sure if it's a miss-print, perhaps the questions should be as a function of x, because that seems a lot easier and a similar level to questions from other years. Or perhaps I'm missing something.

22. A point like object with mass m = 1 kg starts from rest at point x0 = 10 m and moves without any friction under a force F which depends on the coordinate x as illustrated in figure below. The motion is confined to one dimension along x.

http://theonlinephysicstutor.com/Blog/Entries/2012/7/12_Entry_1_files/shapeimage_2.png [Broken]

a1 What is its speed at x=0? [2]
    a2 Sketch its kinetic energy as a function of x. [4]
    a3 Sketch its velocity as well as its acceleration as a function of time t. [6]

Now consider a case when, in addition, a friction force of a magnitude of 1 N is present for x ≥ 0.
    b1 Sketch how the velocity depends on x in that case. [6]
    b2 How many meters this point like object travelled during the time when its position coordinate x was ≥ 0? [2]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

You are given the force on the object and told its mass. Thus you have
    [tex]
    ma = F(x)
    [/tex]
    or
    [tex]
    m\ddot x = F(x)
    [/tex]
    You can determine an expression for F(x) from the graph. From there you can hopefully solve the resulting ODE for [itex]x[/itex], and then determine [itex]\dot x[/itex] and [itex]\ddot x[/itex] by differentiation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Oct 25, 2013 #3
    Surely that will give you acceleration and velocity as a function of displacement not time? Since F and x vary with time i can't see how to make the differential work, in fact I cannot get any equation as a function of time.

5. Oct 25, 2013 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

Based on the graph,
    [tex]
    F(x) = \begin{cases}
    -10, & x \geq 0 \\
    -10 - x, & x < 0
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]

Conveniently [itex]m = 1\,\mathrm{kg}[/itex] so we have
    [tex]
    \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = \begin{cases}
    -10, & x \geq 0 \\
    -10 - x, & x < 0
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]

It's not necessary to solve this ODE so long as you recognise this as ballistic motion in [itex]x \geq 0[/itex] and sinusoidal oscillation about [itex]x = -10[/itex] in [itex]x < 0[/itex]. Basically when [itex]x > 0[/itex] the particle behaves as it would under constant gravity, but in [itex]x < 0[/itex] it's suddenly attached to a Hookean spring. Both of these should be covered in either A-level physics or maths/further maths, so should be familiar to someone sitting an Oxford physics entrance paper.

The difficulty is to patch together ballistic motion in [itex]x > 0[/itex] with sinusoidal motion in [itex]x < 0[/itex] in such a manner that both velocity and acceleration are continuous when the particle is at the origin. This requires finding the times at which [itex]x(t) = 0[/itex]. In fact the motion is periodic in time; this follows from consideration of the KE graph.

6. Oct 25, 2013 #5
    Thanks, that's the part I missed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted