1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics: Straight line motion

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    1. A car is sitting at a stop light and then accelerates from rest when the light turns green.The acceleration of the car is a combination of forward acceleration but also slowing down due to drag forces.The final total accelaration of the car has the form a(t)=b/(t+T)^3 with constants b=2000 m s and T=10s
    a) What are the cars velocity and position as a function of time?
    b) What are the car's velocity and position at t=5.0 s?

Attempt to a solution. I calculated integral of the acceleration function and got v(t)=b/[-2*(t+T)^2] and x(t)=b/[2(t+T)] However it doesnt coincide with what the teacher has got in his answer.I got 4.44m/s and 66.6 m as answerst to b) part.Did I make a mistake anywhere,the problem must be trivial,but I am afraid I am doing something wrong.Can anyone help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's the velocity at t = 0? (I think you forgot to consider the constant of integration.)

4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    True! then I get constant as b/[-2T^2]. Thank you! (Since car is initially at rest I assume v(0)=0)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook