Med Student wanting to get better at Physics

In summary, the individual is entering medical school and is interested in exploring physics from a beginner level. They are seeking recommendations for introductory physics and math self-learning textbooks, as well as advanced physics texts. They have also been suggested a fun intro physics book and have experience volunteering at a hospice and shadowing doctors.
OverdosexX
Hi everyone. I will be entering medical school soon. I've been interested in Physics for quite a while now but never really applied myself. I am a big believer that physics holds the key to higher level thought (critical thinking). I have nothing but deep admiration and respect for those of you talented in it.

My goal is to explore Physics from the bottom up. I only have one calculus class under my belt since it wasn't a necessity in my major nor a medical school requisite. As a result, the only math I may be proficient in is Algebra.

My question is what type of books would you recommend for starting at the beginner level? I would need recommendations for any sort of math self-learning textbooks as well as physics. I have the following textbooks:

Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Giancoli (Third Edition)
Physics (8th Edition) by Cutnell

Someone suggested "Physics: Principles with Applications" by Giancoli as well, although I already have one book by him.

I am interested in reaching an advanced stage of physics as well (if possible).

Also, would anyone have a calculus self-learning textbook suggestion?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a fun physics book that you may enjoy as an intro: Thinking Physics by Epstein:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218084/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's not advanced at all, but has lots of interesting and fun examples of physics, and helps to motivate further reading, IMO. It's kind of at a high school level, without much rigor, but with lots of examples of how physics works in the real world.

Hopefully you get some good recommendations for more advanced physics texts beyond this fun intro. :smile:

Have fun in medical school. Do you have some experience yet in the medical field?

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
This is a fun physics book that you may enjoy as an intro: Thinking Physics by Epstein:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218084/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's not advanced at all, but has lots of interesting and fun examples of physics, and helps to motivate further reading, IMO. It's kind of at a high school level, without much rigor, but with lots of examples of how physics works in the real world.

Hopefully you get some good recommendations for more advanced physics texts beyond this fun intro. :smile:

Have fun in medical school. Do you have some experience yet in the medical field?

Thank you Berkemen! The title of the book you recommended is exactly what I am trying to achieve -- to think like a Physicist (unique and insightful ways of approaching problems). Critical thinking is something I think a lot of people don't have a strong grasp of. Unfortunately, medical school (from what I hear) has a lot of rote memorization, but I suppose that will be manageable.

As for experience in the medical field, I volunteered extensively at a hospice and shadowed quite a few doctors. I really enjoyed what I saw and am excited to begin med school!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How important is physics for a medical student?

Physics is an essential subject for medical students as it helps them understand the fundamental principles of how the human body works. It also provides a strong foundation for understanding various medical technologies and equipment used in diagnosing and treating patients.

2. What are some tips for a med student to improve their physics skills?

Some tips for med students to improve their physics skills include practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or study group, and applying physics principles to real-life medical scenarios. It is also essential to have a strong understanding of basic math concepts as they are closely related to physics.

3. Can a med student excel in physics without prior experience?

Yes, a med student can excel in physics even without prior experience. It may require more effort and dedication, but with consistent practice and a positive attitude, anyone can improve their physics skills.

4. How can understanding physics benefit a med student in the long run?

Understanding physics can benefit a med student in the long run by providing them with a strong foundation for understanding complex medical concepts and technologies. It also helps in problem-solving and critical thinking, which are essential skills for a successful medical career.

5. Are there any resources specifically for med students to learn physics?

Yes, there are resources specifically designed for med students to learn physics, such as textbooks, online courses, and study guides. It is also helpful to consult with physics professors or medical professionals who have a strong understanding of physics.