Medical student interested in mathematics

In summary, the conversation discusses a medical student's interest in rekindling their math knowledge for their future as a researcher in neuroscience. They have a year to dedicate to learning and are wondering what is a reasonable expectation for what they can accomplish. The estimated potential is the equivalent of four 1 semester courses, possibly including vector calculus, linear algebra, topology, and probability. It is suggested to look at the undergraduate course catalog of a university where they would like to do research to get an idea of the current math curriculum.
sgo2387
Hey guys- I know many of you may not be in medical school- but I'm interested in rekindling my math knowledge- mainly to expand my options as a future researcher. I just finished my second year- and this upcoming year, based on rudimentary calculations I should have 4-5 hours of time after hospital work everyday. My question is, what can I accomplish reasonably to learn?

I am interested in probability - I'd like to get to the level of nonlinear dynamics, probability theory- stochastic processes, random walk processes. I'd like to get the basics of math down as well- like a fundamental understanding of topology, linear algebra, nonlinear, combinatorial mathematics...

I don't know how much of this I can accomplish but I was wondering what would be reasonable and where to start?

Like I said- 5 hours a day of time+ maybe 1 of the weekends. I have a year of this available- fourth year I can add more time but its dependent on what I accomplish now.

My end goal is to apply this mathematical knowledge to better understanding neuroscience- and I believe a strong understanding in probability and the application of math at an advanced level is necessary...

But I'm not sure what kind of realistic expectations I can have.

Background: I am a medical student. I'm no math genius- but very capable of learning. My extent of mathematical education was differential equations in my senior year of high school...since then haven't touched it.

I'm not dumb- but not genius either...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sgo2387 said:
My question is, what can I accomplish reasonably to learn?

One guess is that in a year, you could do at most the equivalent of four 1 semester courses. That's my estimate at what a beginning undergraduate math major would do. So, what would a math major take if he placed out of differential equations? I suppose he'd take a semester of vector calculus, a semester or two of linear algebra and one other semester of something - perhaps topology or probablity. However, I don't know what the current math circulum is like. If you have an idea of a university where you'd like to do research, look at their undergraduate course catalog.

1. What is the relationship between medicine and mathematics?

The relationship between medicine and mathematics is becoming increasingly important as healthcare becomes more data-driven. Mathematics is used in medicine for tasks such as analyzing medical imaging, developing statistical models for disease diagnosis and treatment, and understanding the effects of medications on the body.

2. How can studying mathematics be beneficial for a medical student?

Studying mathematics can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for medical students. It can also enhance one's ability to analyze and interpret data, which is crucial for evidence-based medicine. Additionally, understanding mathematical concepts can help medical students grasp complex medical topics such as pharmacokinetics and epidemiology.

3. Are there any specific areas of mathematics that are particularly relevant to medicine?

Yes, several areas of mathematics are highly relevant to medicine, including statistics, calculus, linear algebra, and probability theory. These fields are used to analyze and interpret medical data, build predictive models, and understand the principles of medical imaging.

4. How can a medical student incorporate mathematics into their studies?

Medical students can incorporate mathematics into their studies by taking relevant courses, such as biostatistics, medical informatics, or bioinformatics. They can also seek out research opportunities that involve mathematical analysis and collaborate with mathematicians or statisticians on medical research projects.

5. Is a strong background in mathematics necessary for a career in medicine?

While a strong background in mathematics is not necessary for a career in medicine, it can be beneficial. Many medical schools look for applicants with a well-rounded education, and proficiency in mathematics can make a candidate stand out. Additionally, understanding mathematical concepts can help medical professionals make more informed and data-driven decisions in their practice.