Mehrstellenverfahren for different grid spacing along the three space directions

In summary, the speaker is looking for help with discretizing a differential equation using the Mehrstellenverfahren scheme. They have found that most references assume equal grid spacing along the three space directions, but their grid has different spacing. They are interested in finding an alternative to the Fornberg weights for discretizing the equation.
kolmog
Hi everybody,

I need to discretize a differential equation. The grid that I am considering has a different grid spacing along the three space directions. That is, hx different than hy and hz. For that purpose, I would like to discretize the differential equation through the Mehrstellenverfahren scheme. The problem is that in all the references that I have found, the equation with the corresponding weights assumes that the grid spacing is the same along each of the three space directions (hx=hx=hx=h). I show you the corresponding equation in the attached file.

I would like to use this scheme in my particular situation. Does someone know how this equation would look like?

Thank you very much in advance!

Miquel

Attachments

• eq1.jpg
    eq1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Hi,

As I see that maybe not many people use this scheme to discretize differential equations, I would reword this post. I have discretized a differential equation (generalized Poisson equation) in a real space grid. If you take a look to the attached file, this is the first equation. The left hand side of this equation can be rewritten like in the second equation. Then, I have used Fornberg weights to discretize first and second derivatives. Do you know if, a part from Bernt Fornbverg weights, there exist a better option?

Attachments

• discr.jpg
    discr.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 427

1. What is Mehrstellenverfahren for different grid spacing along the three space directions?

Mehrstellenverfahren, also known as multigrid method, is a numerical method used to solve partial differential equations with high accuracy and efficiency. It involves using a hierarchy of grids with different resolutions to solve the equations at multiple scales.

2. Why is it important to consider different grid spacing along the three space directions?

In many physical systems, the phenomena being studied may vary significantly in different directions. By using different grid spacing along the x, y, and z axes, we can better capture this variation and accurately model the system.

3. How does Mehrstellenverfahren work for different grid spacing along the three space directions?

The multigrid method involves using a coarse grid to quickly solve the equations at a large scale, and then using finer grids to refine the solution at smaller scales. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

4. What are the benefits of using Mehrstellenverfahren for different grid spacing along the three space directions?

Mehrstellenverfahren offers several advantages over other numerical methods, including faster convergence rates, better accuracy, and the ability to handle complex systems with varying scales. It is also more efficient and requires less computational resources compared to traditional methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mehrstellenverfahren for different grid spacing along the three space directions?

While Mehrstellenverfahren has many benefits, it may not be suitable for all types of partial differential equations. It also requires careful selection of grid spacing and can be more complex to implement compared to other methods. Additionally, it may not be efficient for systems with highly anisotropic behavior.