Melting Plastic and Manufacturing

• Thread starter Wetmelon
  • Start date
Hey PF,

I normally frequent the EE portion of this board, but I had a question about plastics and plastic injection molding.

A buddy and I have an idea to create a rather small and specific plastic object in large quantities. We thought that to create small prototype quantities, we could melt plastics and re-pour them into our mold. Is this even possible, or do I need a high pressure to stop the plastics from burning instead of melting?

As for injection molding, what kind of costs are associated with tooling a mold and doing a production run (say of a few thousand objects of volume ~140mm^3 ABS plastic with designs on the surface)? Is there a better method to do what I'm thinking?

Attachments

Perhaps I should re-phrase. I want to use injection molding to produce the item in the post above. I would need to produce only about 1000 as a prototype, but production would require hundreds of thousands (to millions eventually). Is injection molding the right path, or should I look at some other technology?

The injection molding cost depends on the size and design as well as the parts needed for creating the molded material.

Injection molding is certainly your best bet. I've worked with a local company called BOJO (http://www.bojoinc.com/) who can answer all the questions, make molds, and make your parts. The mold cost will be based on the projected volumes, as one mold could make 1-up or 100-up of these at the same time. Ask for Matt.

Actually, in the period since i posted this, I though perhaps extruding the plastic, rounding the end, then cutting to length would be more effective. Any thoughts?

Note that the pellet is 6mm diameter (approx)

In high volume, nothing beats injection molding.

If you do try to make them in your mold, there are certain types of plastics/polymers that can be melted. Basically you have thermoplastic polymers and thermosetting polymers. Thermoplastic can be melted and reformed, but don't use a direct flame or they might catch fire. A simple one to use depending on what it's used for is Polycaprolactone (google it) because you can essentially melt it in a hot water bath. Anyway, this is all just fyi. Good luck!

P.S. Polycaprolactone is sold as polymorph, shape lock, and a couple other brand names.

Last edited: