Mercury Displacement in a Sealed Tube: Isothermal vs. Adiabatic Processes

  • Thread starter Thread starter zygisyyy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mercury Tube
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
zygisyyy
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A thin tube, sealed at both ends, is 1 m long. It lies horizontally, the middle 10 cm containing mercury at the two equal ends containing air at standard atmospheric pressure. If the tube is now turned to a vertical position, by what amount will the mercury be displaced? Assume that the process is (a) isothermal and (b) adiabatic. Which assumption is more reasonable?

Homework Equations



F=p*A

The Attempt at a Solution



I figured maybe I could calculate the displacement by finding the difference between the two pressures ( or vector sum ) and by using F=p*A and other intermediate equations like that of volume find the displacement.
I got 0.072m of displacement in isothermal case. I think the answer can actually be near the logical one, but i still want to make sure whether I'm using the correct approach.
and maybe there is simpler way to do this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zygisyyy said:
It lies horizontally, the middle 10 cm containing mercury at the two equal ends containing air at standard atmospheric pressure.


Can you clarify this please?
 
Tube is thin enough so that mercury closes it, separating air on both sides.