Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mesh analysis and power dissipation

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1
    Hi I'm taking an intro course to electrical and computer engineering and I'm having trouble figuring out part c of number one. I have attached a copy of my solutions to parts a and b which I believe are right (correct me if I'm wrong please) however when I calculate the power dissipation of each component and add them up I get a large number. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2014 #2
    " Determine the power dissipation of each component and show that the sum of the power dissipated equals zero "

Somebody was drunk while writting that assignement ? Dissipative components in that mesh are resistors. Sum of powers dissipated in them must be equal to sum of powers delivered by voltage sources.

4. Oct 30, 2014 #3
    So what's the correct way to solve part c?

5. Oct 31, 2014 #4
    After you find current of each branch, calculate power dissipated by every resistor (PR=IR2R).Sum these powers up to find total power dissipated in network. Power contribution of voltage source calculate as PS=Vs⋅I, where I is current through the source (pay attention to voltage source orientation and current flowing through it, depending on network parameters it may be negative). Then show that ∑PR= ∑PS holds

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook