Mesh Current Analysis with Dependent Voltage Source

In summary, the student was using the mesh-current method to find the power developed in a dependent voltage source in a circuit. After setting up the appropriate equations for each mesh, they solved for the currents and found the dependent voltage to be 110.77V. However, after calculating power using the incorrect polarity, they realized their mistake and corrected it, resulting in a final power of 43582.5 WH.
grekin

Homework Statement

Use the mesh-current method to find the power developed in the dependent voltage source in the circuit in figure (Figure 1) if v = 29V.

Figure_P04.40.jpg

Homework Equations

∑R in mesh 1 * i_1 - ∑R in common between meshes 1 and 2 * i_2 = v_source in mesh 1
∑R in mesh 2 * i_2 - ∑R in common between meshes 1 and 2 * i_1 = v_source in mesh 2
P = i*v

The Attempt at a Solution

Putting mesh 1 on the top, mesh 2 on the left, and mesh 3 on the right, I have:

6w45j12.png

Mesh 1:
(3+5)*i_1 - 3*i_2 -5*i_3 = 53*i_delta

Mesh 2:
(3+20+7)*i_2 - 3*i_1 - 20*i_3 = 29

Mesh 3:
(5+20+2)*i_3 - 5*i_1 - 20*i_2 = 29

Aux:
i_2 = i_delta + i_3

Solving, I got i_1 = 2.09, i_2 = 4.25, i_3 = 4.61, and i_delta = -0.360

V_dependent = 53*i_delta = 110.77

P = i*V = 2.09 * 110.77 = -39.8 W (incorrect)

Any ideas?

EDIT: Solved it, just had a couple signs of the source voltages mixed up. P=43582.5 W

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
grekin said:

Homework Statement

Use the mesh-current method to find the power developed in the dependent voltage source in the circuit in figure (Figure 1) if v = 29V.

Figure_P04.40.jpg

Homework Equations

∑R in mesh 1 * i_1 - ∑R in common between meshes 1 and 2 * i_2 = v_source in mesh 1
∑R in mesh 2 * i_2 - ∑R in common between meshes 1 and 2 * i_1 = v_source in mesh 2
P = i*v

The Attempt at a Solution

Putting mesh 1 on the top, mesh 2 on the left, and mesh 3 on the right, I have:

6w45j12.png

Mesh 1:
(3+5)*i_1 - 3*i_2 -5*i_3 = 53*i_delta

Mesh 2:
(3+20+7)*i_2 - 3*i_1 - 20*i_3 = 29

Mesh 3:
(5+20+2)*i_3 - 5*i_1 - 20*i_2 = -29

Aux:
i_2 = i_delta + i_3
Pay a bit more attention to the polarities (i.e., "signs"). I've marked a couple above in red for investigation.

I noticed that for each of your mesh equations, on the left hand side, you have used a positive sign if the current is flowing from a higher to lower potential (from + to -). Which is fine; there's nothing wrong with that.

But that means you must do the opposite for the right hand side of the equation: Use a negative sign if the current flows from higher to lower potential (from + to -), on that side of the equation.

If it helps to understand why, you could rewrite all of your equations such that everything is on left hand side, and everything sums to 0. (i.e. zero is the only thing on the right hand side).

The important thing is that all voltages in a given loop must sum to zero; the potential at the end of a loop must equal the potential at the beginning of the loop since the loop's beginning and end are the same thing. Then use whatever convention you want after that. But in a couple of your mesh equations, you did not stick to a consistent convention.

Likes 1 person
collinsmark said:
Pay a bit more attention to the polarities (i.e., "signs"). I've marked a couple above in red for investigation.

I noticed that for each of your mesh equations, on the left hand side, you have used a positive sign if the current is flowing from a higher to lower potential (from + to -). Which is fine; there's nothing wrong with that.

But that means you must do the opposite for the right hand side of the equation: Use a negative sign if the current flows from higher to lower potential (from + to -), on that side of the equation.

If it helps to understand why, you could rewrite all of your equations such that everything is on left hand side, and everything sums to 0. (i.e. zero is the only thing on the right hand side).

The important thing is that all voltages in a given loop must sum to zero; the potential at the end of a loop must equal the potential at the beginning of the loop since the loop's beginning and end are the same thing. Then use whatever convention you want after that. But in a couple of your mesh equations, you did not stick to a consistent convention.

Thanks for the response, but it seems you opened the page before I made my edit. I figured it out after looking over my equations for a bit, thanks anyway though. You are indeed correct.

grekin said:
Thanks for the response, but it seems you opened the page before I made my edit. I figured it out after looking over my equations for a bit, thanks anyway though. You are indeed correct.

Right. I didn't see the edit.

Well, good job then! :smile:

Hello, great job on using the mesh-current method to solve this circuit problem! It seems that your initial attempt at solving for the power developed in the dependent voltage source resulted in a negative value, which is not physically possible. Upon further review, you were able to identify and correct the errors in your calculations, resulting in a positive value for the power. Your final answer of 43582.5 W seems reasonable and is consistent with the given voltage value of 29V. Keep up the good work!

1. What is Mesh Current Analysis with Dependent Voltage Source?

Mesh Current Analysis with Dependent Voltage Source is a method used to analyze electrical circuits that contain dependent voltage sources. It involves using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to write equations for each mesh in the circuit and then solving for the unknown mesh currents. This method is commonly used in electronic and electrical engineering to determine the behavior of circuits with dependent sources.

2. How is Mesh Current Analysis with Dependent Voltage Source different from regular Mesh Analysis?

The main difference between Mesh Current Analysis with Dependent Voltage Source and regular Mesh Analysis is the presence of dependent voltage sources. In regular Mesh Analysis, only independent voltage sources are considered, whereas in Mesh Current Analysis with Dependent Voltage Source, the voltage across a dependent source is not known and must be expressed in terms of other variables in the circuit.

3. What are the steps for performing Mesh Current Analysis with Dependent Voltage Source?

The steps for performing Mesh Current Analysis with Dependent Voltage Source are as follows:

1. Identify the dependent voltage sources in the circuit and express their voltage in terms of other variables using the appropriate equations.
  2. Assign mesh currents to each mesh in the circuit.
  3. Apply KVL to each mesh and write equations using Ohm's Law.
  4. Solve the resulting system of equations to find the values of the mesh currents.
  5. Use the mesh currents to determine the voltage and current in each component of the circuit.

4. When should Mesh Current Analysis with Dependent Voltage Source be used?

Mesh Current Analysis with Dependent Voltage Source should be used when analyzing circuits that contain dependent voltage sources. This method is particularly useful when there are multiple dependent sources in the circuit, or when the behavior of dependent sources needs to be determined.

5. What are the limitations of Mesh Current Analysis with Dependent Voltage Source?

One limitation of Mesh Current Analysis with Dependent Voltage Source is that it can become complex and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of dependent sources. Additionally, this method may not work well for circuits with nonlinear dependent sources. In these cases, other methods such as Nodal Analysis may be more suitable.