Metal chassis resistor power dissipation

In summary: I got the Nitrogen bottle adapter.In summary, these metal chassis resistors get too damn hot to touch(48-55 deg C, just after a few mins(~5mins). The power dissipation is 12W. But these are rated 50W, 4x more.
likephysics
I need some information on power dissipation of metal chassis resistors. I have 47 ohm, 50W resistors. (digikey part #A102169-ND)

I hooked them up to 24V. So current flowing is about 0.51A
But the resistors get too damn hot to touch(48-55 deg C, just after a few mins(~5mins). The power dissipation is 12W. But these are rated 50W, 4x more. This is not the first time I am using these. But I am surprised by how hot they get.
Any guidelines or app note on these resistors and power dissipation?

The ambient temp is 25 deg C. Resistor datasheet says 50W at 25 deg C, without heatsink.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As I read this the HSA 50 types dissipate is 50W WITH a standard heatsink. - without the HS these are good for 20 W - which seems inline with your experience.

Windadct said:
As I read this the HSA 50 types dissipate is 50W WITH a standard heatsink. - without the HS these are good for 20 W - which seems inline with your experience.

Ok. How do you calculate the temp rise for resistors.

Jony130 said:
Look at data sheet page 4

Note those graphs are for the resistors on a standard heatsink (i.e. an aluminum plate with the dimensions given on page 1).

For a resistor without a heatsink, it's probably a reasonable assumption the temperature difference will be scaled by (max power rating with heatsink)/(max power rating without heatsink), i.e. for the JSA50 multiply the temperature difference from the chart by 50/20 = 2.5

But I am surprised by how hot they get.
Note from the chart that this type of resistor is "not even getting warm" running at a temperature of 50 degrees C. They are not meant to be used in situations where people can accidentally touch them. They work fine at temperatures much higher than boiling water!

Note the failure of these will depend on the internal temp - and the data needed to calculate this is no provided. Probably because at that point you are well beyond the SOA - the surface temp is the easy thing to monitor so that is the parameter they specify.

likephysics said:
... I am surprised by how hot they get.

AlephZero said:
They are not meant to be used in situations where people can accidentally touch them.

I'm guessing here, but I bet there's a burnt finger print on your resistor. It's a good learning experience that "power resistors shouldn't be tested by touch". I'm fairly sure any future touches WILL be accidental. :biggrin:

dlgoff said:
I'm guessing here, but I bet there's a burnt finger print on your resistor. It's a good learning experience that "power resistors shouldn't be tested by touch". I'm fairly sure any future touches WILL be accidental. :biggrin:

No, not this time. Burnt my finger enough times. Not happening again!:cool:

An IR thermometer is a valuable tool for any circuit work where temperature can be used for evaluation or diagnostics - RS has them for about $20 - there are some on Amazon for less.

Windadct said:
An IR thermometer is a valuable tool for any circuit work where temperature can be used for evaluation or diagnostics - RS has them for about $20 - there are some on Amazon for less.
They are indeed a valuable tool for low voltage circuit diagnostics, but also for high current power applications such as substation bus, switch, and re-closer connections.

I would sat that fits into my SOW... although I prefer real IR cameras for that level / professional work. Started with a ProbeEye - required Argon Gas - was a PITA

1. What is a metal chassis resistor?

A metal chassis resistor is a type of electronic component used to regulate or limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is typically made of a metal alloy, such as nickel-chrome, and is designed to withstand high levels of heat and power dissipation.

2. How does a metal chassis resistor work?

When an electric current passes through a metal chassis resistor, it encounters resistance, causing some of the electrical energy to be converted into heat. This heat is then dissipated into the surrounding environment, reducing the amount of current flowing through the circuit.

3. What is power dissipation?

Power dissipation is the process of converting electrical energy into heat. In the context of metal chassis resistors, it refers to the amount of heat that is produced when an electric current passes through the resistor.

4. Why is power dissipation important in metal chassis resistors?

Power dissipation is important in metal chassis resistors because it determines the maximum amount of current that the resistor can safely handle without overheating. Exceeding the power dissipation limit can cause the resistor to fail and potentially damage other components in the circuit.

5. How is power dissipation calculated for metal chassis resistors?

Power dissipation in metal chassis resistors can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power dissipation in watts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms. It is important to note that the power dissipation limit for a resistor should be higher than the calculated dissipation to ensure safe operation.