Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metal Deflection system/ Draft included

1. May 5, 2007 #1
    I am wondering if:
    1. Is it possible to design such system? I am trying to induce the Aluminium Tin, then deflect it using a positively charged metal plate.

2. If so, what is the cost needed? Let say I want to deflect the tin for about 5cm from the center, and the size of the design should not exceed the size of 80cm*80cm

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2007 #2
    You did not explain the principle of your device.
    I guessed this is based on electrostatic forces.
    If I guessed correctly, I think it will not work. You would require very high voltage to get a small force.

Metal deflection is very much used in industry.
    For example, in cement grinding plants, metalic parts could damage some equipements.
    They are removed with magnetic deflection systems. This is very common.
    These devices commonly remove mettalic part from large bulk flows (more than 1000 t/h) without problem.
    The same principle can be applied at any scale.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  4. May 10, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your advise. Can you give me some link on the magnetic defelction system? And is it possible to design it without high cost?

5. May 10, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why not use a simple separate solenoid as the pusher element?

6. May 10, 2007 #5
    How does a solenoid separator help to separate metal from non-metal?:confused:

7. May 10, 2007 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Oh, I see your point. But I don't think you can use electrostatic fields for the separation either. Probably using eddy currents would work better?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?