1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meteoric Radiation Decay Question Check

1. May 21, 2008 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have done a question, but I am not sure wether the answer I got is correct:

A meteorite sampleis found to have some 40-Ar trapped in a small volume deep inside it, which also contains exactly the same amount of radioactive 40-K. Assuming that when the meteorite was formed there was no trapped argon, that every 100 40-K nuclei decay into 11 40-Argon nuclei (and 89 40-Ca, which play no further part in this question) and that the half life of 40-K is 1.3x10^9 years, estimate the age of the meteorite in years.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \frac{N(^{40}Ar)}{N()^{40}K} = e^{\lambda t_{Formation}} - 1[/tex]

[tex] t_{1/2} = \frac{ln2}{\lambda} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Rearranging the formula, I get:

[tex] \frac{N(^{40}Ar)}{N(^{40}K)} = e^{(\frac{ln2}{t_{1/2}}) t_{Formation}} - 1[/tex]

I considered the ratio to be 50:50, or 1:1, since there was equal numbers. Put in all the variables into the above equation, and I got a nice number of 1.3 billion years. It seems a fair enough answer.

My problem is, I don't seem to have taken into consideration the fact that only 11 of the 100 potassium atoms decay into Argon. and the fact that the time is the half-life shows that this should be the answer when the Potassium only forms argon, since half-life is the time for half the atoms to decay, it means from the half that have decaysed, really, only 11% should be argon.

Have I made a mistake somewhere/used the wrong formula?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi TFM! :smile:

The question isn't very clear, but I think you're right: if you start with 200 atoms of K, then after one half-life you have 100 of K, 11 of Ar, and 89 of Ca. :smile:

So your [tex] \frac{N(^{40}Ar)}{N()^{40}K} = e^{\lambda t_{Formation}} - 1[/tex]

should say [tex] \frac{N(^{40}Ar\,+\,^{40}Ca)}{N()^{40}K} = e^{\lambda t_{Formation}} - 1[/tex],

and then you use N(Ar)/N(Ca) = 11/89. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?