Meteorite with something inside?

• Thread starter onion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteorite
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person finding a rock that they believe to be a meteorite. They describe how it makes a rattling sound when shaken and ask for opinions on what it could be. Some possible explanations are offered, such as a geode or a rattlestone, and it is suggested that the rock be opened to determine its origin. It is also mentioned that the rock does not have the characteristics of a typical meteorite.
onion
I have this rock that I'm assuming, after research, is a meteorite. When you shake it slightly you can hear something knocking around on the inside. Whatever is inside, from the sound, doesn't seem to be hard like the outside. Any ideas what this could be? Curiosity is about to kill this cat!

Likes AlexB23
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Um, I'd be a little careful with that. Have you seen the movie Alien? I'm not kidding.

Paging @davenn

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and davenn
20230421_204147.jpg
20230421_204155.jpg
20230421_204202.jpg

Attachments

• 20230421_204218.jpg
    20230421_204218.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 76
Likes AlexB23
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Um, I'd be a little careful with that. Have you seen the movie Alien? I'm not kidding.

Paging @davenn
😂😂😂 I feel it.... I tried posting a video but I'm not exactly sure how honestly

onion said:
I tried posting a video but I'm not exactly sure how honestly
I think at PF you need to link to YouTube videos. I'm pretty sure there is no way to upload videos with "Attach Files" yet.

berkeman said:
Paging @davenn
So anticipating some of the questions from Dave and @Baluncore is it magnetic? Can you say exactly where you found it (lat/long)? What kind of terrain did you find it in (desert, riverbed, forest, etc.)?

Looking at the pictures shows a patina with polished corners. If it is a rock, it has either been handled by people for a long time, or has remained on the surface in a gibber stone desert. The lenticular notches suggest weathering of rock containing fossil shells.

Does it contain one rock or many particles of grit?
You have a "rattle stone", google it.

Rocks that rattle can be made from selectively weathered chemical concretions, geodes, or can be based on fossils in sandstone. Consider a bivalve shell, filled with sand and buried in sand. Groundwater, temperature and time, fossilise the shell and sand to a solid. The calcium carbonate from the shell, and silica from the sand, cement the near sandstone. When the rock comes to the surface, it may be differentially weathered chemically, to remove the calcium shell, resulting in a rattling rock.

There are a few other possibilities. It could be a concretion from an animal's gut, like a gall stone or a bezoar stone. Or a stone swallowed by an animal, a gastrolith, like a grindstone in the gizzard of a bird or reptile, from a dinosaur fossil or recently employed.

You will need to open it to identify the origin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastrolith
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bezoar

• Informative
Likes Astranut, Klystron, Bandersnatch and 4 others
If it is hollow might not be a meteorite, as they fuse in entry to the Earth's atmosphere. Hollow rocks are most likely be a geode.

Likes davenn
onion said:
I have this rock that I'm assuming, after research, is a meteorite. When you shake it slightly you can hear something knocking around on the inside.

hi ya
welcome to PF :)
In the over 300 meteorites I have and the probably 1000's of others I have seen, I have never seen a hollow one.

As @Baluncore and @Terrakron have suggested, and I agree with them it's likely to be a geode ( thunderegg) or a rattlestone.
The look of the outer surface doesnt really give me any confidence of it being a meteorite

cheers
Dave

Likes dlgoff

1. What is a meteorite with something inside?

A meteorite with something inside refers to a meteorite that contains a unique or unusual inclusion, such as a mineral, gas, or even organic material.

2. How do meteorites with something inside form?

Meteorites with something inside are formed when a meteoroid (a small piece of asteroid or comet) enters Earth's atmosphere and melts, trapping and preserving the inclusion inside the meteorite as it cools and solidifies.

3. What types of inclusions can be found in meteorites?

Inclusions in meteorites can vary greatly, but some common types include minerals, metals, and gases. Some meteorites have also been found to contain organic materials, such as amino acids and sugars.

4. Are meteorites with something inside rare?

Yes, meteorites with something inside are considered rare as they make up a small percentage of all meteorites that have been found on Earth. However, with advanced technology and more thorough searches, the number of these unique meteorites being discovered is increasing.

5. Why are meteorites with something inside important to scientists?

Meteorites with something inside provide scientists with valuable information about the formation and composition of our solar system. They can also offer insights into the conditions on early Earth and the potential for extraterrestrial life.