Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of characteristics and shock waves

1. Mar 8, 2013 #1

Leb

Hi all!

I just wanted to ask if anyone is finding the usage of method of characteristics difficult ? I sort of feel, that it is a very simple approach to solving PDE's, but I get easily lost, when for instance, we have to keep switching back and forth between variables and such. When it comes to introducing shocks, I get lost even more (I think my problem is, I am not comfortable with all these substitutions and expressions for time and speed etc).

I sort of get the idea behind it ( the most important part are the ICs and you can get any value for u in x-t plane etc). But when it comes to solving actual problems, I can only do basic ones and with "pretend" understanding (i.e. I think I know what I am doing, but in reality I only know the steps).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What source are you learning from? I've found that most sources on the method of characteristics are terrible at explaining what's going on.

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3

Leb

My university lecture course and a few notes online (I only find them somewhat useful). I got the intuition from this guy here but when it comes to more complex problems my intuition brakes down. As I said, I don't know why, but it really LOOKS as a very easy thing and that's annoying me greatly. Maybe I just need to practice more to get getter basics...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Mar 28, 2013 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I did my MPhil thesis is shock waves and I have a lot of experience with the method of characteristics, what exactly do you need help with?

6. May 5, 2013 #5

Leb

A very simple problem that is probably the key problem for me is the fact that x and t are easily compared and interchanged. I do not understand how one can compare time and distance. For example saying u = 1 for x<-t. Should I somehow think in 3D ?

This is a very simple problem with the t and x comparison.
    http://s12.postimg.org/xv0wzdcn1/Chars.jpg

7. May 6, 2013 #6

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

We need the actual equation to be able to give you some advice.

8. May 6, 2013 #7

Leb

Sorry, I have not realized that did not fit.

It's [itex]u_{t}+uu_{x}=0[/itex] and u(x,0) = -1 for x<0 and u(x,0) = 1

9. May 6, 2013 #8

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

This states that u is constant on the characteristics.

10. May 6, 2013 #9

Leb

I think I get that (and I thought that was the whole point of characteristics, that u is the same on a characteristic). What I do not get is how we compare time t and space x...

11. May 6, 2013 #10

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

You have to compute the characteristics, write dt/ds=1, dx/ds=u. with t(0)=r and x(0)=0.

12. May 6, 2013 #11

Leb

Yes, I know how to algebraically get the expressions in the picture of the solutions I have attached. What I do not understand is why are we allowed to compare x and t ?

13. May 6, 2013 #12

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

You're mapping the characteristics.

14. May 7, 2013 #13

Leb

Not sure what you mean there, but I will pretend to understand :)

I'm having trouble with this question:
    shock1.jpg

The "shock location is obvious" for me it is only obvious if I draw the picture, maybe I should look at the limits ?

But the real problem to me is understanding how were the limits for s(t) (underlined red) established ?

15. May 7, 2013 #14

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Do you know how to compute characteristics? If I have a hyperbolic PDE, I can write down the characteristics as
    [tex]\frac{dt}{ds}=1\quad\frac{dx}{dt}=u,\quad\frac{du}{ds}=0[/tex]
    Then consider what [itex]u[/itex] is in those separate regions.

16. May 7, 2013 #15

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

We'll take this one step at a time. Solving PDEs of this worm is handle turning, I'll guide you through the process.

17. May 7, 2013 #16

Leb

Solving your given Monge equations:
    [itex]t = s + t_{0} ; x = ut + x_{0} ; u=F({\sigma}) [/itex]

Then choose [itex] t_{0} = 0 [/itex] (Could have equally done that to [itex] x_{0} [/itex] I assume because it does not matter where we start, might as well chose 0)

Then [itex]u(x,t) = F(x-us)[/itex] s=t

18. May 7, 2013 #17

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

No, you could not have chosen x(0)=0, why can't you do that?

19. May 7, 2013 #18

Leb

I really do not know, my notes said:
    "Note that we may choose t_{0} = 0 without loss of generality since the Monge equations are invariant under the change of variable. In other examples it may be more appropriate to choose x_{0} = 0 instead, using the same argument."

I thought that the constants only matter for which characteristic we are looking at ?

P.S.
    I appreciate your help!

20. May 7, 2013 #19

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

The characteristic is defined by the initial value of the x in this case. Use int inition conditions u(0,x)=..., what does that tell you for the initial conditions for the characteristic equations?

21. May 7, 2013 #20

Leb

Not really sure how to answer that, but whatever u(t=0,x) is equal to, will stay the same along the characteristic (note, that I am answering using the definition, not understanding). Is that what you are asking about ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook