Method of finding natural frequency

In summary: The transfer functions and parameters are ways to describe and model the system of interest - they are not the system.In summary, this is a closed loop system, and my teacher showed me that one of the methods to find the natural frequency is by finding the frequency at phase -90 degrees.
MissP.25_5
This is a closed loop system. My teacher showed me that one of the methods to find the natural frequency of this system is by finding the frequency at phase -90 degrees. Why must it be -90 degrees? Please explain. From the phase graph, the frequency at -90 degrees is 32 [rad/s], so that's the natural frequency.

Attachments

• IMG_5368.jpg
    IMG_5368.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the bode plot tell you?

Simon Bridge said:
What does the bode plot tell you?

The bode plot tells us the difference between the asymptote and the real data. Actually, these graphs are plotted for system identification by finding the transfer function G.

The bode plot tells us the difference between the asymptote and the real data.
Yes, but what does that mean?

i.e. in the bottom graph you plot a phase against frequency - which phase is this?
The point of these questions is to focus your mind on the physics of the situation that is relevant to your question.
So far you appear to have been concentrating on the math.

Simon Bridge said:
Yes, but what does that mean?

i.e. in the bottom graph you plot a phase against frequency - which phase is this?
The point of these questions is to focus your mind on the physics of the situation that is relevant to your question.
So far you appear to have been concentrating on the math.

That means we can see how sensitive the closed-loop transfer function is to the changes in the parameters of the plant transfer function, and also whether the closed-loop system is stable or not.
I am sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "which phase is this".

MissP.25_5 said:
I am sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "which phase is this".
What does "-60 degrees" mean, for example? The phase is a numerical value, but where does it come from?

What mfb said :)

The transfer functions and parameters are ways to describe and model the system of interest - they are not the system.

1. What is the natural frequency?

The natural frequency is the frequency at which an object or system naturally oscillates without any external forces acting on it.

2. How is the natural frequency determined?

The natural frequency can be determined by various methods, such as mathematical calculations, experimental measurements, or computer simulations.

3. What is the significance of finding the natural frequency?

Finding the natural frequency is important in understanding the behavior and stability of a system. It is also used in designing and controlling structures and machines to prevent resonance or other unwanted vibrations.

4. Can the natural frequency be changed?

Yes, the natural frequency can be changed by altering the physical properties of the system, such as mass, stiffness, and damping. It can also be affected by external forces or disturbances.

5. Are there any limitations to the method of finding natural frequency?

The accuracy and reliability of the method may be affected by various factors, such as assumptions made in the calculations or the complexity of the system. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when using the method.