Method of finding natural frequency

• Thread starter MissP.25_5
  • Start date
This is a closed loop system. My teacher showed me that one of the methods to find the natural frequency of this system is by finding the frequency at phase -90 degrees. Why must it be -90 degrees? Please explain. From the phase graph, the frequency at -90 degrees is 32 [rad/s], so that's the natural frequency.

Attachments

• IMG_5368.jpg
    IMG_5368.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 368

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What does the bode plot tell you?

What does the bode plot tell you?

The bode plot tells us the difference between the asymptote and the real data. Actually, these graphs are plotted for system identification by finding the transfer function G.

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The bode plot tells us the difference between the asymptote and the real data.
Yes, but what does that mean?

i.e. in the bottom graph you plot a phase against frequency - which phase is this?
The point of these questions is to focus your mind on the physics of the situation that is relevant to your question.
So far you appear to have been concentrating on the math.

Yes, but what does that mean?

i.e. in the bottom graph you plot a phase against frequency - which phase is this?
The point of these questions is to focus your mind on the physics of the situation that is relevant to your question.
So far you appear to have been concentrating on the math.

That means we can see how sensitive the closed-loop transfer function is to the changes in the parameters of the plant transfer function, and also whether the closed-loop system is stable or not.
I am sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "which phase is this".

I am sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "which phase is this".
What does "-60 degrees" mean, for example? The phase is a numerical value, but where does it come from?

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What mfb said :)

The transfer functions and parameters are ways to describe and model the system of interest - they are not the system.