How to get valid frequency for a transfer function?

In summary, the transfer function for a damper-spring-mass system is H(s) = 1/(s^2+s+1). To find the half-power frequency, the maximum magnitude should be multiplied by 1/sqrt(2) and solved for w. This results in two imaginary and two real answers. The real positive answer (1.27) is considered the valid frequency.
Effy

Homework Statement

transfer function: H(s) = 1/(s^2+s+1).
question: compute half-power frequency

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]I got 4 answers: -0.605i, 0.065i, -1.169, 1.169
I know that only two of these are correct, one is 1.169 instead of -1.169 because frequency cannot be negative. Then I wrote the two imaginary answers into phaser form. I got 0.065<-90degree and 0.065<90 degree. Could someone tell me which phase I should choose and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you come up with those answers yourself, or were they given to you in the problem statement? If they're your work, then it would be much easier to help you if you showed how you came up with them.

The value of 's' is, in some contexts, called 'complex frequency', but I doubt that's what you're after. I think you probably just have to find the -3 dB point(s) of ##H(j \omega)##.

milesyoung said:
Did you come up with those answers yourself, or were they given to you in the problem statement? If they're your work, then it would be much easier to help you if you showed how you came up with them.

The value of 's' is, in some contexts, called 'complex frequency', but I doubt that's what you're after. I think you probably just have to find the -3 dB point(s) of ##H(j \omega)##.

Hi,

I wrote the transfer function H(s) into H(w)=1/(-w^2+iw+1)
so the magnitude would be |H(w)|=|1/(-w^2+iw+1)|=1/sqrt(1-w^2+w^4)
|H(w)|max would be sqrt(4/3) when 1-w^2+w^4 is at minimum when w=+ or -1/sqrt(2)
set |H(w)|=1/sqrt(1-w^2+w^4)=1/sqrt(2)*|H(w)|max=sqrt(2/3) and solve for w
since this is a 4th order equation, I got 4 answers. 1 imaginary positive, 1 imaginary negative, 1 real positive, 1 real negative.
Then I'm confused.

What do you mean by -3dB point? I don't know about that.

@Effy , i think the answers you calculated are wrong. Please go through it once again.

milesyoung said:

Btw, the original question is a damper-spring-mass system. I got the transfer function from that and I'm pretty sure it's correct.

-3db point is called as the cutoff frequency or half power frequency. It is a frequency at which magnitude of gain decreases by 3db from maximum gain.

lazyaditya said:
@Effy , i think the answers you calculated are wrong. Please go through it once again.

I've done that several times and I'm still try
lazyaditya said:
-3db point is called as the cutoff frequency or half power frequency. It is a frequency at which magnitude of gain decreases by 3db from maximum gain.

Does it mean that I shouldn't multiply the maximum magnitude by 1/sqrt(2) but subtract 3dB?

I meant about the frequency values.

I did it roughly .

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 409
You can subtract 3 db only when the magnitude is also given in decibel .

Attachments

• photo 2(1).JPG
    photo 2(1).JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 441
  • photo 1(1).JPG
    photo 1(1).JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 448
lazyaditya said:
I did it roughly .

I got the same answers and finally found out what I did wrong. Thank you so much!
But only the +1.27 is a valid frequency, right?

Effy said:
But only the +1.27 is a valid frequency, right?
That depends on how pedantic your instructor is. You can interpret the real-valued signal ##\cos(\omega t)## as a complex-valued signal:
$$
\cos(\omega t) = \frac{e^{j \omega t} + e^{-j \omega t}}{2}
$$
with frequency components at ##-\omega## and ##\omega##, but I doubt that makes any difference for your assignment. The negative frequency components are redundant if you're only working with real-valued signals, so I think you can easily argue that it's correct to only include the positive frequency component in your answer.

Last edited:
milesyoung said:
That depends on how pedantic your instructor is. You can interpret the real-valued signal ##\cos(\omega t)## as a complex-valued signal:
$$
\cos(\omega t) = \frac{e^{j \omega t} + e^{-j \omega t}}{2}
$$
with frequency components at ##-\omega## and ##\omega##, but I doubt that makes any difference for your assignment. The negative frequency components are redundant if you're only working with real-valued signals, so I think you can easily argue that it's correct to only include the positive frequency component in your answer.

Got it. Thanks!

1. How do I determine the valid frequency range for a transfer function?

The valid frequency range for a transfer function can be determined by examining the system's physical characteristics, such as its natural frequency and damping ratio. Additionally, the frequency range may also be limited by the instrumentation used to measure the response of the system.

2. Can I use any frequency to obtain a valid transfer function?

No, not all frequencies will result in a valid transfer function. The input frequency must be within the system's valid frequency range and should be carefully chosen to avoid harmonic resonances.

3. How do I ensure the validity of my transfer function?

To ensure the validity of a transfer function, it is important to use accurate and precise measurement techniques and instrumentation. Additionally, the input frequency should be varied within the valid frequency range to confirm the consistency and accuracy of the transfer function.

4. What is the importance of obtaining a valid transfer function?

A valid transfer function is crucial for accurately understanding and analyzing the behavior of a system. It allows for the prediction of the system's response to different inputs and can aid in the design and optimization of control systems.

5. Can I obtain a valid transfer function for a nonlinear system?

Yes, it is possible to obtain a valid transfer function for a nonlinear system. However, the analysis and calculation of the transfer function may be more complex compared to a linear system. Careful consideration of the system's nonlinearities and selection of appropriate input frequencies are necessary to obtain an accurate transfer function.