Mathematics modeling for a Mass-Spring-Damper system

In summary, you want to get mathematics modeling for these tree systems:-First one is b -> (b1+b2), right?-but I'm not sure about second and third figures.-After that, do I have to do Laplace Transform?+Can I get Damping ratio and Natural frequency for all these systems? These are not necessary. Only mathematics modelings are also needed.+I wanted to ask questions on Korean sites before, but I couldn't find an appropriate site. Please help me.Thank you all for your help.
Devs
Homework Statement
It has no statement
Relevant Equations
mx''+bx'+kx=p(t)
Summary:: How can I get mathematics modeling for these tree systems?

기말힌트.jpg

First of all, my mother tongue is not English, so my expression could be ambiguous.

I want to get mathematics modeling for these three system above, like this form.
0433532_1607111708.jpg

First one is b -> (b1+b2), right? but I'm not sure about second and third figures.
After that, do I have to do Laplace Transform?

+Can I get Damping ratio and Natural frequency for all these systems? These are not necessary. Only mathematics modelings are also thank you.
I wanted to ask questions on Korean sites before, but I couldn't find appropriate site. Please help me.
Thank you all for your help.[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
what means 'thus no template'?

Devs said:
what means 'thus no template'?
It is a relict when we had a template in the homework forum but not elsewhere. I have yet to adjust it.
It is primarily a note for other mentors not to move it again, and that it is approved as homework in the sense that it shows some efforts from your side which we require in the homework sections.

Likes Devs
Are you asking how to formulate the equations for these various 1- and 2 degrees of freedom problems, or are you asking how to solve the equations once you have the equations?

Likes PhDeezNutz
Chestermiller said:
Are you asking how to formulate the equations for these various 1- and 2 degrees of freedom problems, or are you asking how to solve the equations once you have the equations?

There is no given equation. I'm asking how to formulate the equation. Thank you for asking me easily.

Are you familiar with Newton's 2nd law of motion?

Chestermiller said:
Are you familiar with Newton's 2nd law of motion?
I know that formula is 'F=m*dv/dt=ma'

OK. Let's take as an example the middle figure. We are going to be solving for the motion of the two masses, as characterized by ##x_1(t)## and ##x_2(t)## which are the coordinates of the centers of mass of M1 and M2, respectively (as functions of time). Are you OK with this so far?

yes I got that

The tension is spring k1 is $$k_1(x_2-x_1-L_1)$$ where ##L_1## is the distance between the centers of the two masses when the tension in the spring is zero.

The tension of dashpot b is $$b\left(\frac{dx_1}{dt}-0\right)$$ where the 0 signifies the velocity at the left end of dashpot b. A better example is the tension of dashpot b3 in the third figure: $$b_3\left(\frac{dy_2}{dt}-\frac{dy_1}{dt}\right)$$Based on these relationships, what is the net force acting on mass m1 in example 2, and what is the net force acting on mass m2 in example 2?

Last edited:

1. What is a Mass-Spring-Damper system?

A Mass-Spring-Damper system is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a mass attached to a spring and a damper. The mass represents the object being studied, the spring represents the restoring force, and the damper represents the dissipative force. This system is commonly used to model the behavior of mechanical systems, such as a car suspension or a swinging pendulum.

2. How is a Mass-Spring-Damper system mathematically modeled?

The motion of a Mass-Spring-Damper system can be described by a second-order differential equation, known as the equation of motion. This equation takes into account the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the damping coefficient of the damper. It can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as Laplace transforms or numerical methods.

3. What are the applications of Mathematics modeling for a Mass-Spring-Damper system?

Mathematics modeling for a Mass-Spring-Damper system has a wide range of applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of mechanical systems, design control systems, and simulate real-world scenarios. It is also used in the development of technologies such as suspension systems, shock absorbers, and vibration isolation systems.

4. What are the limitations of a Mass-Spring-Damper system model?

While a Mass-Spring-Damper system model is a useful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of mechanical systems, it has some limitations. It assumes that the mass is concentrated at a single point, the spring is ideal and linear, and the damper is linear and viscous. These assumptions may not hold true in real-world scenarios, leading to errors in the model's predictions.

5. How can a Mass-Spring-Damper system model be validated?

A Mass-Spring-Damper system model can be validated by comparing its predictions to real-world data. This data can be obtained through experiments or by using sensors to measure the behavior of a physical system. If the model's predictions closely match the observed data, it can be considered valid. Additionally, the model can be refined and adjusted based on the data to improve its accuracy.