Method of Images for a single point charge in a capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the force of a p.c. inside a parallel plate capacitor needs to be calculated. The p.c. is located at a distance of h/4 from the bottom plate and is the only charge in the problem. The method of images is mentioned, but it is unclear if it will be used. The conversation also references a substitute professor and an example that may be helpful in solving the problem.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Find the electrostatic force 𝐹⃗ on p.c. q placed inside a large parallel plate capacitor in vacuum, with grounded plates, separated at distance h. The p.c. is at a distance h/4 from the closest plate
Relevant Equations
F=kq^2/r^2
Disclaimer: This is not a repost.
IMG_60C02282DA59-1.jpeg

The problem wants me to calculate the force of a p.c. , that is isolated by itself (this p.c. is the only charge this problem starts with in this problem) inside a capacitor, a distance h/4 from the bottom plate.
IMG_0376.jpg

This is what I have though of so far but I don't think this really satisfies the method of images since after my second iteration (red charges) +q is still "free".

I recall a substitute professor once showing me an example like this, and from my notes he said this problem would look like this
IMG_D29A7920DE9F-1.jpeg

Where this seems like it would go on forever but I THINK he said you would get an answer around the 10th iteration. I honestly don't remember that well since it was a while back.

Could I get some help with this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
Homework Statement:: Find the electrostatic force 𝐹⃗ on p.c. q placed inside a large parallel plate capacitor in vacuum, with grounded plates, separated at distance h. The p.c. is at a distance h/4 from the closest plate
Relevant Equations:: F=kq^2/r^2

Disclaimer: This is not a repost.
No, but it is so like the other that after finishing one you should be able to do both.

1. What is the Method of Images for a single point charge in a capacitor?

The Method of Images is a technique used to solve electrostatic problems involving a single point charge located between two parallel conducting plates. It involves creating a virtual image charge on the opposite side of one of the plates to mimic the presence of the actual charge and satisfy boundary conditions.

2. How does the Method of Images work?

The Method of Images works by using the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric potential at a point is the sum of the potentials due to each individual charge. By creating a virtual image charge, the electric potential due to the actual charge is cancelled out, leaving only the potential due to the virtual charge, which satisfies the boundary conditions.

3. What are the advantages of using the Method of Images?

The Method of Images is advantageous because it allows for the quick and easy solution of electrostatic problems involving a single point charge in a capacitor. It also provides a visual representation of the electric field and potential, making it easier to understand the behavior of the system.

4. Are there any limitations to the Method of Images?

Yes, the Method of Images is limited to problems involving a single point charge in a capacitor. It cannot be applied to more complex systems or problems involving multiple charges or non-parallel plates. Additionally, the virtual image charge must be placed in a location that satisfies the boundary conditions, which may not always be possible.

5. How is the virtual image charge determined in the Method of Images?

The virtual image charge is determined by considering the boundary conditions of the system. The virtual charge must have the same magnitude as the actual charge and be located at a distance from the plate that is equal to the distance between the actual charge and the plate. Its sign is opposite to that of the actual charge, and its location is on the opposite side of the plate from the actual charge.