Method of Images for a single point charge in a capacitor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
guyvsdcsniper
Messages
264
Reaction score
37
Homework Statement
Find the electrostatic force 𝐹⃗ on p.c. q placed inside a large parallel plate capacitor in vacuum, with grounded plates, separated at distance h. The p.c. is at a distance h/4 from the closest plate
Relevant Equations
F=kq^2/r^2
Disclaimer: This is not a repost.
IMG_60C02282DA59-1.jpeg

The problem wants me to calculate the force of a p.c. , that is isolated by itself (this p.c. is the only charge this problem starts with in this problem) inside a capacitor, a distance h/4 from the bottom plate.
IMG_0376.jpg

This is what I have though of so far but I don't think this really satisfies the method of images since after my second iteration (red charges) +q is still "free".

I recall a substitute professor once showing me an example like this, and from my notes he said this problem would look like this
IMG_D29A7920DE9F-1.jpeg

Where this seems like it would go on forever but I THINK he said you would get an answer around the 10th iteration. I honestly don't remember that well since it was a while back.

Could I get some help with this problem
 
Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
Homework Statement:: Find the electrostatic force 𝐹⃗ on p.c. q placed inside a large parallel plate capacitor in vacuum, with grounded plates, separated at distance h. The p.c. is at a distance h/4 from the closest plate
Relevant Equations:: F=kq^2/r^2

Disclaimer: This is not a repost.
No, but it is so like the other that after finishing one you should be able to do both.