Metric space of all bounded real functions is complete

In summary, the problem is asking us to show that the metric space (C,d) is complete, meaning that every Cauchy sequence in (C,d) converges in (C,d). This can be done by showing that the limit function, denoted as f, is bounded, which can be easily proven since each fn is bounded and fn converges uniformly to f. Thus, for some n, |fn(x)-f(x)| is less than 1 for all x, and if |fn(x)| is less than M for some M for all x, then |f(x)| is less than M+1.
winter85

Homework Statement

Let X be a non-empty set and let C be the set of all bounded real functions defined on X, with the metric induced by the supremum norm: d(f,g) = ||f - g|| = sup |f(x)-g(x)| , x in X.
Show that the metric space (C,d) is complete.
Hint: if [tex] \{f_{n}\} [/tex] is a cauchy sequence, then [tex] \{f_{n}(x)\} [/tex] is a cauchy sequence for all x in X.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let [tex] \{f_{n}\} [/tex] be a cauchy sequence in (C,d). From the definition, we have for all x in X: [tex] |f_{n}(x) - f_{m}(x)| \leq ||f_{n} - f_{m}|| [/tex] so [tex] \{f_{n}(x)\} [/tex] is cauchy for all x in X, hence it converges (because range of f is complete). Let f denote the function whose value at x is the limit of [tex] f_{n}(x) [/tex] as n goes to infinity. Thus for every e > 0 and x in X, there exists N(x,e) > 0 such that [tex] |f_{n}(x) - f(x)| < e [/tex] whenever n > N(x,e).

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I cannot deduce from the last statement what the problem is asking for, unless f is uniformly convergent over X, that is, N(x,e) is independent of x. But that can't be true in general. Is there something I'm missing?

This problem is taken from Simmons' Introduction to Topology and Modern Analysis. However in Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis, a book that I went through a few months before, I read this:

C(X) denotes the set of all complex-valued, continuous, bounded functions with domain X. [...]
A sequence [tex] {f_{n}} [/tex] converges to f with respect to the metric of C(X) (induced by the supremum norm as above) if and only if fn -> f uniformly on X.

Is there something I'm missing or is the result the original problem is asking for is wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind also that {fn} Cauchy means that fn gets uniformly close to each other (which is where you can get the uniform convergence through clever use of the triangle inequality)

ok, thank you. I figured it out :)

So once you have that fn --> f uniformly on X, how do you get that the space is complete?

symbol, that's it... by definition it's complete if every Cauchy sequence converges.

By definition, a metric space M is complete if every Cauchy sequence in M converges in M.
So in this case we would have to show that every Cauchy sequence in (C,d) converges in (C,d).
So if fn --> f under the sup norm, I guess we have to show that f is in (C,d).

You have to show it's bounded, but that's pretty easy since each fn is bounded, and fn converges uniformly to f... so we know for some n, |fn(x)-f(x)|<1 for all x, and if |fn(x)|<M for some M for all x, |f(x)|<M+1 necessarily

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that describes a set of objects (usually numbers) and a way to measure the distance between those objects. The distance between two objects in a metric space is defined by a function called a metric, which follows specific rules to ensure that it accurately measures the distance between objects.

2. What does it mean for a metric space to be complete?

A metric space is complete if every Cauchy sequence in that space converges to a point within the space. In other words, every sequence of objects in the space that gets closer and closer together will eventually converge to a single point.

3. How is the completeness of a metric space determined?

The completeness of a metric space is determined by checking whether or not every Cauchy sequence in that space converges to a point within the space. If this criterion is met, then the space is considered complete.

4. What is the significance of the completeness of the metric space of all bounded real functions?

The completeness of the metric space of all bounded real functions is significant because it ensures that any sequence of bounded real functions that gets closer and closer together will eventually converge to a single bounded real function. This allows for more accurate and precise mathematical calculations and analysis.

5. How is the completeness of the metric space of all bounded real functions relevant to scientific research?

The completeness of the metric space of all bounded real functions is relevant to scientific research because it provides a solid mathematical foundation for analyzing and understanding real-life data and phenomena. By using this complete metric space, scientists can accurately measure and analyze data to make informed conclusions and discoveries.