1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric Spaces: Exercise 1.14 from Introduction to Topology (Dover)

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    X is a metric and E is a subspace of X (E[itex]\subset[/itex]X)
    The boundary ∂E of a set E is defined to be the set of points adherent to both E and the complement of E,

∂E=[itex]\overline{E}[/itex][itex]\cap[/itex]([itex]\overline{X\E}[/itex])
    (ignore the red color, i can't get it out)

Show that E is open if and only if E[itex]\cap[/itex]∂E is empty. Show that E is closed if and only if ∂E [itex]\subseteq[/itex] E

2. Relevant equations

∂E=[itex]\overline{E}[/itex][itex]\cap[/itex]([itex]\overline{X\E}[/itex])
    (ignore the red color, i can't get it out)

3. The attempt at a solution

To begin with I don't understand the equation because it seems to me that ([itex]\overline{X\E}[/itex])=E , so,
    ∂E = [itex]\overline{E}[/itex][itex]\cap[/itex]([itex]\overline{X\E}[/itex]) = [itex]\overline{E}[/itex][itex]\cap[/itex]E= empty set

Can anyone explain this to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There is no need to make a separate itex-tag for each math symbol. Things like this

Code (Text):

[itex]E\cap \overline{X\setminus E}[/itex]

work fine.

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are probably thinking the bar means complement. It doesn't. It means closure. Look up the definition and using it explain why you think ##\overline{X\backslash E}=E##. For the red tex problem use \backslash instead of \.

5. Feb 16, 2013 #4
    Thanks a lot guys! Without you I couldn't do my self-study!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook