Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric tensor, infitesimal transformation

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1

I don't think this belongs in the homework section since this is a graduate course.
    My question is regarding making a field theory generally covariant by including a metric tensor [tex]g_{\mu\nu}(x)[/tex]in the Lagransian density, and it's transformation under infinitesimal coordinate change.

If I transform the coordinates according to:
    [tex]x^{\mu}\rightarrow x^{\mu}'=x^{\mu}+\epsilon^{\mu}(x)[/tex]

The metric must be transformed according to:
    [tex]g_{\mu\nu}(x)\rightarrow g'_{\mu'\nu'}(x')=\frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\mu}'}\frac{\partial x^{\beta}}{\partial x^{\nu}'}g_{\alpha\beta}(x)[/tex]

which I understand well. But according to the textbook I'm reading the infitesimal result is:
    [tex]\delta g_{\mu\nu}(x)=\epsilon_{\mu;\nu}+\epsilon_{\nu;\mu}[/tex]
    (with covariant derivatives).

I have tried using:
    [tex]\frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\mu}'}\simeq\delta_{\mu}^{\alpha}-\frac{\partial\epsilon^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\mu}}+O(\epsilon^{2})[/tex]

to obtain:
    [tex]\delta g_{\mu\nu}(x)=-g_{\mu\alpha}\partial_{\nu}\epsilon^{\alpha}-g_{\nu\alpha}\partial_{\mu}\epsilon^{\alpha}[/tex]

but I don't know how to obtain the textbook result.
    Can someone clue me in on how to do it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2
    Never mind, I solved it...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?