Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Michelson Morley Experiment Light Source

1. Nov 20, 2016 #1
    My question is that in Michelson Morley experiment, how they produced the light? what was the light source and has anyone used sunlight as a source yet to re-confirm that experiment? I am interested in sunlight as a source of light due to certain reason... Please if you know kindly mention the link as well or reference so that I can check that too... thanks..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2016 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

The original Michelson and Morley paper is easily found with Google - it's even linked off the Wikipedia page on the experiment. You can look up the details of the apparatus yourself.

The FAQ linked at the top of this sub-forum is a sensible place to start for further reading. Guessing that you are thinking that light from moving sources has not been tested for speed invariance, the relevant section is http://www.edu-observatory.org/physics-faq/Relativity/SR/experiments.html#moving-source_tests

4. Nov 20, 2016 #3

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

5. Nov 20, 2016 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Note that the original MMX can not be done with sunlight since a big part of the experiment was comparing the fringes at different times of day and night.

Of course, similar interforemeters have been used with many light sources.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted