Microsoft Defender SmartScreen blocks download

• Thread starter feynman1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blocks
In summary, Microsoft Defender SmartScreen is a security feature in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer that protects against malicious websites and downloads. It may block downloads if they are deemed potentially harmful or come from an untrusted source. It is possible to bypass the feature, but not recommended as it can put your computer at risk. It can be turned off in the browser's settings, but this is also not recommended. Other browsers may have similar security features.
feynman1
Can one tell Microsoft Defender SmartScreen which websites to trust? I don't want to close Microsoft Defender SmartScreen entirely.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I believe this plugs into Microsoft browsers, have you tried using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome?

Likes sysprog
MikeeMiracle said:
I believe this plugs into Microsoft browsers, have you tried using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome?
I thought so too. Never saw it in other browsers.

What is Microsoft Defender SmartScreen?

Microsoft Defender SmartScreen is a built-in feature in the Microsoft Windows operating system that helps protect against malicious software and phishing attempts by warning users when they attempt to download potentially harmful files or visit suspicious websites.

Why is Microsoft Defender SmartScreen blocking my download?

Microsoft Defender SmartScreen uses a database of known malicious websites and files to determine if a download is safe. If the file or website is not recognized as safe, SmartScreen will block the download to protect your computer from potential harm.

How do I unblock a download blocked by Microsoft Defender SmartScreen?

If you trust the source of the download and believe it to be safe, you can choose to override the SmartScreen block by clicking on "More info" and then selecting "Run anyway". However, it is important to exercise caution when overriding the block as it may put your computer at risk.

Can I turn off Microsoft Defender SmartScreen?

While it is not recommended, you can choose to disable Microsoft Defender SmartScreen. However, doing so will leave your computer more vulnerable to malicious software and phishing attempts. It is best to keep the feature enabled for your own protection.

How do I report a false positive with Microsoft Defender SmartScreen?

If you believe that a download or website has been mistakenly blocked by Microsoft Defender SmartScreen, you can report it as a false positive. To do so, click on "More info" and then select "Report that this download is safe". This will help improve the SmartScreen database and prevent future false positives.