Looking for free download to burn YouTube video into DVD.

  • Thread starter Thread starter yungman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Video Youtube
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
yungman
Messages
5,741
Reaction score
291
Hi
I don't know whether this is the right place to ask this question. I found some Math and Physics lectures on YouTube that I want to burn onto DVD so I can watch it on real TV with the standard video, not HD ( I am old school, still have old format with RCA connectors). Can anyone suggest a safe free download program to do this? Quality is of no importance, it's only lectures. As long as I can hear it and see it, it's all good.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In previous threads here at PF, it's been mentioned that "keepvid" (a web site) can be used to download youtube videos, usually as .mp4 files. Do a web search for "download youtube video" to find a link to keepvid.

You'll then need software to start with a .mp4 file and end up with a dvd. Probably one program to convert the .mp4 file into dvd compatable format, and another to create the dvd.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Are we sure this is legal?
There have been previous threads here at PF that mentioned several of ways of doing this, so I assumed there were no issues, but the oldest of these threads was locked with no explanation, so I used a PM instead.
 
Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Are we sure this is legal?

I am 99% sure. There are a lot of programs that do this, I just want to find one that is safe and not bringing in virus or malware. I don't think this is any different from free programs like 7 zip to replace Winzip, pdf creaters and all, those are just open software. The catch is some of them just pull in a lot of add ons and it's a pest to get rid of them!

Ha ha, in fact, they even have free pcb layout and schematic creation program that is absolutely legal and free, Cadsoft Eagle is one big one that is used commercially. Of cause, they say you need to buy it if you use it commercially, but it's free if you are just playing with it and learn as a student. It is cheap also.
 
A Google search for "free dvd burning software" turns up a lot of hits, including a free version of Nero (Nero Qwik Media, which used to be called Nero BurnLite) for Windows.

cnet.com lists a whole bunch of them:

http://download.cnet.com/windows/cd-burners/

I'm a Mac guy, so I don't have experience with any of these. I use the commercial Roxio Toast for my burning needs.

rcgldr said:
the oldest of these threads was locked with no explanation,

All threads before about 2010 were locked early last year to prevent "extreme necroposting."
 
I use an addon called "Easy Youtube Video Downloader" on firefox. It add's an extra button below youtube videos that allows you to download the the video in some given format.

Then you'd have to use a CD/DVD burner application (others have posted several good options) to burn it to a dvd. There maybe some extra conversion required before you're able to get the video in a format that the burning software supports.