Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mie scattering for sphere with constant dipole moment

1. Aug 3, 2013 #1
    Hi

does anybody here know whether there already exists a theory that describe Mie scattering for spheres that have a constant dipole moment?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

According to the Wikipedia article, there are solutions (Ludvig Lorenz and others), but they are not shown in the article.

4. Aug 3, 2013 #3
    where exactly? i only see this name when it comes to dielectric spheres, not dipoles?

5. Aug 3, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

I don't see how a constant dipole moment should change the results (compared to the dielectric sphere), as long as it is constant it does not contribute to radiation. If your particle has enough time to rotate, it becomes tricky, but I think that would require really weird intensity/frequency/particle combinations.

6. Aug 3, 2013 #5
    well, i thought that maybe the constant dipole moment has an effect on the polarizability and therefore on the possibility to have induced dipole moments.

7. Aug 3, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Maybe, but you have to know polarizability anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook