How to pronoucne Mie in Mie Scattering?

• Thread starter splitringtail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scattering
In summary, Mie scattering is a type of light scattering phenomenon that occurs when a beam of light interacts with particles that are larger than the wavelength of the light. It is named after the German physicist Gustav Mie, who first described it in 1908. The word "Mie" is pronounced as "mee-ay" with the emphasis on the first syllable. The main difference between Mie scattering and Rayleigh scattering is the size of the particles, with Mie scattering occurring with larger particles and Rayleigh scattering occurring with smaller particles. Mie scattering can be observed in natural phenomena such as the blue color of the sky, and it is used in various scientific fields to study the properties of particles and cells.
splitringtail
I initially would say Mie like "my/pie", but my advisor corrected me and said it was "Me". Yet, someone told me that is wrong and it is "my/pie".

Is there any authority or unanimous agreement on its pronunciation somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mie was german. In german with ie/ei the last letter is typically the one that is pronounced.

Nein - the ei is pronounded EYE.
Sie - the ie is pronounced EE.

So Mie would be Me.

1. What is Mie scattering?

Mie scattering is a type of light scattering phenomenon that occurs when a beam of light interacts with particles that are larger than the wavelength of the light. It is named after the German physicist Gustav Mie, who first described it in 1908.

2. How do you pronounce "Mie" in Mie scattering?

The word "Mie" is pronounced as "mee-ay" with the emphasis on the first syllable. This pronunciation is based on the German pronunciation of Gustav Mie's last name.

3. What is the difference between Mie scattering and Rayleigh scattering?

While both Mie scattering and Rayleigh scattering involve the interaction of light with particles, the main difference between them is the size of the particles. Mie scattering occurs with particles that are larger than the wavelength of light, while Rayleigh scattering occurs with particles that are smaller than the wavelength of light.

4. What are some real-life examples of Mie scattering?

Mie scattering can be observed in various natural phenomena such as the blue color of the sky, the white color of clouds, and the red color of sunsets. It also plays a role in the appearance of gemstones, opals, and certain types of glass.

5. How is Mie scattering used in scientific research?

Mie scattering is used in a wide range of scientific fields, including atmospheric science, astronomy, and materials science. It is commonly used to study the properties of particles, such as their size, shape, and composition. It is also used in medical research for applications such as analyzing the size and shape of cells.