1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Miller Indices (Solid State Physics)

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A simple cubic crystal with lattice parameter 0.5 nm has a plane which intersects atoms at the points (-0.5,-0.5,0), (1,-0.5,0.5) and (1,2.5,-1.5), where the coordinates have units of nm.

What are the miller indices of the plane?

Having read the relevant chapters of three different books I am still none the wiser, and have been unable to find a similar solution to this problem.

I am truly stuck and have no idea how to begin this question; I'm hoping someone can guide me through the process to a solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2
    How to find millerindices:

1) Choose origo in some arbitrary point.

2) Choose a plane that DOES NOT intersect origo. Find the intersection in the x-axis and the y-axis. Lets say (1,2).

3) Invert (1,0.5)

4) Extend so that you get integers (2,1)

Your millierindices are then (h, k)= (2,1)

Im not so god at it. I only know how it works on a simple basis. The point with millerindices i think are that if you choose a "miller-plane" (h,k,l) then if that intersects origo, then the plane intersects x-axis at a/h, y-axis at a/k and the z-axis at a/l. a is the width of the cubic structure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook