1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Millikan Oil Drop Experiment - A few questions

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    Millikan Oil Drop Experiment -- A few questions

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm currently doing the millikan oil drop lab; we're using a PASCO Scientific Model 300a (fairly ancient). Specifically, my partner and I are having major problems making any of the droplets in the viewing chamber go back up when switching the top plate to negative/positive.

We give it a strong squeeze, we see tons of droplets in the chamber, but they all just keep moving down the chamber. We've had two instances of successfully making a drop oscillate, but we suck at experiments and didn't think about the nuances to using a stopwatch in the dark.

However, the past 3 sessions we've attempted have yielded NO drops that even slow down when charging the plates. What's up with that? I'm desperately looking for pointers here; I didn't think this would be that frustrating.

Thanks for any help.

2. Relevant equations
    -N/A-

3. The attempt at a solution
    -N/A-

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

come on guys …

someone must know how to fix this! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook