Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Millimeter wave scanners and backscatter scanners

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    Millimeter wave scanners and "backscatter" scanners

I was reading about these new full body scanners that they're implementing in airports these days. The two types of scanners in use today are millimeter wave scanners and backscatter scanners. From what I've gathered, millimeter wave scanners transmit radio waves which penetrate the clothes and reflect off the body, revealing whats under the clothes.

The backscatter devices on the other hand use x-rays. Can this backscatter technology penetrate the whole body, revealing the organs and whats inside the stomach etc, similar to what a hospital x-ray machine does? I read that to get more penetrating power, a higher dose of x-rays must be used, therefore lower doses of x-rays only reveal whats under the clothes, rather than inside the body, similar to what the millimeter wave scanners are capable of. Is that correct, are higher doses of x-rays required to reveal whats under the skin?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted