Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B EM wave penetration through walls...

1. Jan 5, 2017 #1
    What are the factors that determine the property of wave penetration of bodies? For instance we can listen to fm radio from inside the walls of a room. But visible light is unable to penetrate the walls.

Similarly some metals reflect some frequency but absorb some. How atomic orbitals play role in wave penetration?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Conduction?

EDIT -- Conduction as a function of frequency.

4. Jan 5, 2017 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Seems to me more like transparency / translucency / opacity than conduction (of course, I'm an EE so I think of conduction in a particular way). Glass is transparent to visible light waves, non-metallic walls are transparent to radio waves, etc. WHY things are transparent/opaque is of course still the real question.

5. Jan 5, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Isn't that related to the conduction of the material at the frequency of the incident EM? I certainly could be wrong...

6. Jan 5, 2017 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I actually don't know anything about the conductivity of materials to incident EM waves, just of internal current flow (and that kind of conductivity does vary with frequency), and you certainly could be right.

7. Jan 5, 2017 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Question: how do you know that the radio waves were able to penetrate through the walls? How do you know that it isn't due to the long wavelength of radio waves when compared to visible light, i.e. simple diffraction?

Zz.

8. Jan 6, 2017 #7

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted