EM wave penetration through walls....

In summary, the factors that determine the property of wave penetration of bodies include the frequency of the waves and the material properties of the body. For example, while radio waves can penetrate through non-metallic walls, visible light is unable to do so. This is due to differences in frequency and the transparency of the material. Additionally, the atomic orbitals of a material can also play a role in wave penetration, as seen in the varying reflectivity and absorbance of certain metals. The conductivity of a material at the frequency of the incident EM wave may also affect its ability to allow wave penetration. However, the exact mechanisms behind transparency and opacity are still not fully understood.
mktsgm
What are the factors that determine the property of wave penetration of bodies? For instance we can listen to fm radio from inside the walls of a room. But visible light is unable to penetrate the walls.

Similarly some metals reflect some frequency but absorb some. How atomic orbitals play role in wave penetration?

Physics news on Phys.org
mktsgm said:
What are the factors that determine the property of wave penetration of bodies? For instance we can listen to fm radio from inside the walls of a room. But visible light is unable to penetrate the walls.

Similarly some metals reflect some frequency but absorb some. How atomic orbitals play role in wave penetration?
Conduction?

EDIT -- Conduction as a function of frequency.

berkeman said:
Conduction?

EDIT -- Conduction as a function of frequency.
Seems to me more like transparency / translucency / opacity than conduction (of course, I'm an EE so I think of conduction in a particular way). Glass is transparent to visible light waves, non-metallic walls are transparent to radio waves, etc. WHY things are transparent/opaque is of course still the real question.

phinds said:
WHY things are transparent/opaque is of course still the real question.
Isn't that related to the conduction of the material at the frequency of the incident EM? I certainly could be wrong...

berkeman said:
Isn't that related to the conduction of the material at the frequency of the incident EM? I certainly could be wrong...
I actually don't know anything about the conductivity of materials to incident EM waves, just of internal current flow (and that kind of conductivity does vary with frequency), and you certainly could be right.

mktsgm said:

Question: how do you know that the radio waves were able to penetrate through the walls? How do you know that it isn't due to the long wavelength of radio waves when compared to visible light, i.e. simple diffraction?

Zz.

Likes berkeman

1. How do electromagnetic waves penetrate through walls?

Electromagnetic waves, or EM waves, are able to penetrate through walls due to their high frequency and short wavelength. These characteristics allow them to pass through small openings and gaps in the material of the wall.

2. Can all types of EM waves penetrate through walls?

No, not all types of EM waves can penetrate through walls. Some types, such as radio waves, can easily pass through walls, while others like X-rays and gamma rays are absorbed or scattered by the materials in the wall.

3. What factors affect the ability of EM waves to penetrate through walls?

The ability of EM waves to penetrate through walls is determined by the frequency and wavelength of the waves, as well as the type and thickness of the material in the wall. Higher frequencies and shorter wavelengths are more likely to penetrate through walls than lower frequencies and longer wavelengths.

4. Are there any health concerns associated with EM waves penetrating through walls?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that EM waves penetrating through walls pose any health concerns. However, it is recommended to limit exposure to high frequency EM waves, such as X-rays and gamma rays, as they can be harmful to living tissue.

5. How can we protect against EM wave penetration through walls?

The best way to protect against EM wave penetration through walls is to use materials that are specifically designed to block or reduce the penetration of certain types of EM waves. For example, lead is often used as a shield against X-rays and gamma rays, while metal mesh can block radio waves.